An Alternative Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Halloween is quickly approaching. As usual, there will be a multitude of drunken frat parties to choose from and the bars downtown will be flooded with costume clad students still recovering from Georgia/Florida. But if you’re not feeling the party scene this year, there are still plenty of opportunities to make your Halloween enjoyable.

If you’re feeling creative:
Organize a giant Halloween Sca
venger hunt on North Campus. Divide your group into teams and the first team to find all their clues wins a bag of candy or some other Halloween related prize. If coming up with clues is too much of a stretch, opting for a game of North Campus manhunt is just as fun. Just remember, the later the spookier.

Have a pumpkin carving party. Search for designs on pinterest and have a contest for who can carve the cutest pumpkin. Don’t forget to save the seeds to bake in the oven!

If you want to stay at home:

Grab a group of friends and a bowl of popcorn for a Halloween movie night. From childhood classics like Hocus Pocus, to more recent thrillers, such as The Cabin in the Woods, there are so many options for a fun movie night.

If you have extra gas money:
If watching scary movies at home is not giving you enough of the thrill that you’re searching for, Atlanta is home to some of the scariest and most entertaining haunted houses. Load your car up with friends and head to one of the following for a night of fun!

Zombie Apocalypse– You and your friends are challenged to survive a 100,000 square root Zombie zone. You will be lead through the zone by a human army member, but beware that you can be taken out by Zombies at any time. Price $20-$60 per person. Location:  4215 Thurman Road Conley, Georgia 30288

Netherworld– Netherworld is a walk through haunted house with live actors and lots of special effects guaranteed to scare you and your friends. Price $22-$50 per person. Location: 6624 Dawson Boulevard Norcross, Georgia 30093

13 Stories Haunted House– This 13 story haunted house in Kennesaw is so scary that you can get your money back if you get to the top. Be warned that you must sign a waiver before entering because the actors in the haunted house can touch you. The haunted house also has live animals including rats, snakes, and spiders. Enter if you dare. Price: $22 per person Location 2975 Ring Road, Kennesaw, Georgia 30144

Happening on Campus

All Hallows Read: A Trek of Literary Horror – Hosted by UGA’s Stillpoint Literary Magazine, this guided tour includes spooky themed literary readings while walking through some of the creepiest spots on UGA’s campus. The walk will take place Tuesday October 30 at 7pm at Park Hall. Food and candy will be provided before the walk. Attendants are encouraged to bring a scary excerpt to read and a flashlight. Admission is free.

Café Soul 2012: Passions Unfolded Hosted by UGA’s Black Affairs Council and Omega Psi Phi, Incorporated.  Café Soul is a night of poetry, spoken word, dance and music performed by UGA students. R & B singer Sammie will also be performing as a special guest. Café Soul will take place in the Memorial Hall Ballroom on October 31 at 7:00 pm. Tickets are $4 & $6 (VIP) for BAC Members and $6 & $8 for Non BAC Members. Cosmopolitan attire is encouraged.

Dawg Glow:
UGA’s homecoming themed take on Day Glow is a rave party for UGA students. Throw on your most neon outfit and head to Tate Grand Hall for a night of dancing with lots of glow sticks, LED hula hoops and great music. Waffle House breakfast will be served at midnight. The doors open at 9 pm. Admission is free for fee paid students.

Happening Around Athens

Chipotle Boo-rito– Chipotles nationwide are hosting a Halloween themed costume contest of sorts. If you come to Chipotle on Halloween any time between 4pm and close you can get a burrito for only $2. Athens’ Chipotle is located on 165 Alps Road.

Skary-oke– com Come out to the Office Lounge at 9:30 pm for a night of Halloween themed Karaoke. There will also be a costume contest. Ages 21+ only.  Admission is free.  Location: 2455 Jefferson Road

Dance FX Athens– DanceFx, a local dance studio, is offering two Halloween themed dance classes. The Wednesday night Salsa class has a special drop-in price of $5 for beginner and intermediate dance lessons. Come dressed in a costume. Class will take place from 8:30-10:30 pm. DanceFx is also having a $5 Burlesque Aerobics Night. Come learn burlesque dance with the Modern Pin-ups at 8:30 pm. Come dressed as your favorite bombshell beauty. DanceFx Athens is located at 1260 South Milledge Avenue D-1.

With all that’s happening on campus and in the surrounding areas, it’s impossible for you not to have an amazing Halloween.

Sophia Fredericksen is a junior at University of Georgia studying magazine journalism. She has written for a wide variety of publications including Her Campus Ohio University, College Fashion, Thread Magazine, and JAYE magazine. Now she is the Editor of Her Campus UGA. In her free time she enjoys reading fashion magazines, playing dress up, taking pictures and trying new food. She hopes to one day write for a fashion magazine in either New York or LA.