Adeline Kenerly: UGA Baton Twirler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Most Georgia fans watch the Bulldawgs crush their opponents from the stands or television screens, but this week’s Campus Celebrity also gets her time on the field—meet Adeline Kenerly.

Hard work pays off for Adeline, 19, a pre-law sophomore with a double major in broadcast journalism and political science; she maintains a proud record as a dean’s list student every semester.

Although carrying a heavy academic work load, Adeline finds a level of balance in her lifestyle that permits her to be a member of several organizations: a two year majorette of the Redcoat Marching Band, Relay For Life, HEROs, Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority and the Student Government Association’s Freshman Forum.

However, there is a title that holds dear to her heart: Adeline is crowned Miss University of Georgia 2014.

“It feels absolutely fantastic,” said Kenerly, “Miss UGA is such an exciting experience for me and I get to cherish it forever.”

Growing up in Jesup, Ga., Adeline started baton twirling at the age of four, 15 years later she has won over 500 titles and competed on the state, regional, national and international level. In 2004 she won the Intermediate Miss Majorette of America title. Through all of her success and accomplishments she admits her work ethic “didn’t happen overnight” she remains humble by experiences learned in high school and college.

“I couldn’t be Miss UGA without all those experiences,” said Kenerly.

She channels inspiration from one of her favorite quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt, “the future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” However she may be perceived on the surface, titles, trophies and crowns are just one dimension of who she is as a person.

“I am a normal girl who if you saw me on campus you probably wouldn’t see those things,” said Kenerly.

The sophomore enjoys spending time with friends, family and her chocolate lab puppy, Knox; overall she is just a “normal college girl.”

There is uniqueness about Adeline: History was made when she became the first student to compete in the scholarship pageant and won as her mom did in 1981. Sharing that moment with her mother, Joy Kenerly, is “the coolest thing I ever get to say.” A daughter of two UGA alumni, the pageant beauty was raised a Bulldawg fan.

Kenerly intends on following her dreams but most importantly wants to inspire young girls they can be whatever they want to be in life.

Look for Miss Kenerly in the 2014 Miss Georgia Scholarship Pageant and for when she takes her talents between the hedges.

Born in Savannah, Ga., Kayla is a third-year Journalism student at the University in Georgia.
A student journalist at the University of Georgia, Brittini Ray has been writing for HCUGA since fall 2011. This past spring, she became the president of Her Campus UGA. Brittini also interns for zpolitics.com. She hopes to learn more about news and the journalsim industry.   Follow Brittini on Twitter