8 Things You Should Expect to Say “Hasta La Vista” to Before You Start College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

1. Friends. The amount of people who you will still communicate with when you get to college that came from your high school will probably be around 1-6 people. You may end up being roommates with one of them! By the end of college, you may still communicate with zero to three people regularly with whom you went to high school. It’s totally okay and natural for this to happen. If you feel that some people are distancing themselves, allow them to. You will make 10x the amount of new friends in college.                                          

2. Family. It seems obvious, but when you start college, your family will not always be a few steps away. They may be miles way or maybe in a completely different state or country. You may get a little homesick so bring pictures of your family with you to have when you are away. Sometimes college life can get hectic and even getting a phone call in may seem impossible. Try to keep up with your family back home as best as you can through social media or even sending them quick snapshots of your day. If you have younger siblings, then you should also make an effort to talk to them as well as your parents. They grow up fast, and you don’t want to miss out on it. Your family will miss you when you are away; they may not express it, but they will be just as sad, if not sadder, than you are when they drop you off at college. 

3. Significant Other. This may not apply to everyone, but it is possible that your high school relationship will not last through your freshman year at college— especially if the two of you are going to different schools. You could be #blessed with having your long-distance relationship work out, but prepared if you or your partner calls it quits.  

4. Not Studying. High school is easier than college. High school is recess compared to the workload you will encounter at a university. Not studying will not cut it and your grades will suffer. If you are a MENSA genius, you probably will not have to worry about anything. For everyone else, expect to crack open the textbook and bust out the index cards. The phrase, “I didn’t even study, and I still got an A,” is officially a thing of the past. Cheers, and welcome to higher education. If you are a student at UGA, check out this article, 10 Tips for Academics at UGA, for helpful study advice.

5. Being Bored. There are approximately one bazillion things to do in college. Road trips, study groups, clubs, sporting events, volunteering, working part-time, having lunch with friends, exercising — the list can go on and on. For the next four years, expect never to be bored again. Being bored will be a figment of your imagination, a mere glimmer of the life you used to live.  

6. Cable Television. Ask you parents to DVR your shows for you. Or consider getting a Netflix and Hulu account. You may not be able to watch you favorite Fall shows as they are broadcasted, but you won’t be too far behind.

7. Home Cooked Meals. Yep, no more home cooked meals. If you are up for cooking, ask your family for recipes. If you are fortunate to have family that will freeze food and send it to you every week, consider yourself lucky. Dining hall food does the job, but never provides the exact comfort like home cooked mac-n-cheese, ox-tail, paneer, tamales, and rice-and-peas.  

8. Not Cleaning. Yep laundry, washing dishes, sweeping, dusting, and making your bed— it’s all yours. In college, no one will clean up behind you. Make sure you keep your area clean especially if you are sharing a room with another person. Sometimes even the slightest amount of clutter in a small room will look like a giant mess. Set up a cleaning schedule and divvy up duties to make sure your area is spick and span— especially for the times when you have room checks, visitors, or family visits. A clean and organized area is the easiest way to make it look like having your life together, and the first step to getting your life together.