7 Things That Happen When You Go Home for Thanksgiving (As Told by Parks and Rec)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Collegiettes, the semester is almost over. The last three months have flown by, but before you have time to worry about finals or your GPA for this semester, it’s time to leave campus for Thanksgiving Break. Depending where you go to school, you may have just a few days off, or you may get a whole week. Whatever the case, or wherever you spend your break, here are seven things we at Her Campus know to be true about Thanksgiving Break…as told by Parks and Recreation.

1. Being overjoyed to see your friends from other schools

Four months is a long time to be away from friends you used to see every day.

2. Having your laundry done for you

Being an adult is hard. Your parents understand that, if you’re lucky. If you have to do your own laundry, you can at least be excited about not having to pay for it.

3. Seeing your entire family

Hugs from mom and dad? Check. Ten minutes of excited tail-wagging and licking from the family dog? Also check.

4. Becoming overwhelmed by constantly seeing your entire family

After months of only being around college-aged students, a week of your little brother’s whining and your grandparents’ tech issues can start to grate on your nerves.

5. Eating obscene amounts of food

Because nothing says Thanksgiving like stuffing your face with turkey and mashed potatoes, right? 

6. Sleeping. A lot. 

When there are no alarms to go to class and no roommate to wake you up, the sun will rise long before you do. Plus, you’re back home in your own bed!A

7. Having an amazing break, but being excited to head back to see your friends in your new home.

As good as it feels to be home in the place you grew up, being home for a week makes you realize you have more than one home now.

Have a great Thanksgiving, collegiettes!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.