6 Upcoming Movies That You Should See This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Summer 2017 features many action sequels, reboots, and originals, here are just a few of the most promising.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (May 5th)

The long-awaited sequel features the same cast as the original and looks just as promising. The trailers don’t give much away; but the gang picks up where they left off – traveling through space and protecting the galaxy. And the soundtrack has already been released!

Alien: Covenant (May 19th)

Directed by the original Alien director, Ridley Scott takes this prequel in new directions. It is the sequel to Prometheus and is the 8th Alien movie. The film stars Michael Fassbender, Katherine Waterson and Danny McBride.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (May 26th)

This is the fifth Pirate’s movie and is a separate entity from the last, Stranger Tides reboot. Johnny Depp is back, as Captain Jack Sparrow takes on the powerful Armando Salazar (Javier Bardem).

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 7th)

The third reboot of Spider-Man looks to have finally got the casting right. The movie features Peter Parker attempting to join the Avengers all the while maintaining his normal high school life. Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya and Robert Downey Jr. round out the cast.

War for the Planet of the Apes (July 14th)

The third installment of the Planet of the Apes reboot, but apparently not the last. The film stars Woody Harrelson, Andy Serkis and Steve Zahn and appears to be quite intense.

Detroit (August 4th)

Okay so, Detroit is more of “period crime drama” than an action movie, but it still has plenty of the action. Directed by one of the best female directors of our time, Kathryn Bigelow tells the little known story of the Detroit riots back in 1967. This timely piece stars John Boyega, of Stars Wars fame, along with Jacob Latimore, John Krasinski and many more.

Sam is getting her degree in Film Studies at UGA. She hopes to continue writing entertainment reviews and comedy nonsense after graduation. She's always got a latte in hand and can be seen practicing handstands all around campus.