5 Ways to Maintain Your Long-Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Just when you thought summer was never going to end and you were going to be stuck at your parents’ house for eternity, August showed up. As you stuffed the last of your belongings into your car and said goodbye to your friends and family, you remember the one thing you can’t take with you: bae.

Whether they go to a different university or have already graduated (or haven’t even graduated high school yet – we don’t judge), maintaining a long distance relationship low-key sucks, especially in college. With student organizations, intramurals, and the never-ending piles of homework to finish, finding time to spend with your significant other (whether it be in real life or not) can be difficult; however, it’s not impossible! Here are some tips to keep your relationship healthy even when bae’s away.

1. Find the best way to communicate

Whether it be texting every day or calling every night, finding when and how to talk with your S.O. is essential for keeping up with your relationship. However, don’t hover. Constant contact isn’t necessary and can often strain a relationship.

2. Have a plan 

Knowing when you’re going to see your significant other again can dissipate that crippling fear you may have after you leave. If possible, pick a date to see each other again before leaving rather than after.

3. Be normal

Talking about how much you miss each other can sometimes make your relationship seem superficial or repetitive; you might start to feel like you’re missing that ordinary part of each other. Keep each other updated on topics you would talk about in normal conversation, like how you got an A on your French quiz or how you accidentally picked up the wrong coffee at Jittery Joes.

4. Realize that trust and honesty matter

This is arguably the most difficult part of being in an LDR – trusting each other. Try to set some standards for each other, such as letting the other know if you’re going out with friends and/or sending a quick text when you get home. It’s easy to stay up late worried about what the other is up to, and be honest if a certain trend starts to bother you. That being said, trust is also crucial for maintaining a long distance relationship.

5. Leave room for each other to grow

“Distance makes the heart grow fonder” may seem like the lamest thing you’ve ever heard (and you’ve probably heard it a thousand times by now), but clichés are clichés because they’re true, right? If you’re best friends with your S.O., or you two have been dating literally since middle school, some distance might be beneficial for the both of you! There’s always something new to learn about each other and distance might be the key to sparking that unknown.

While there are definitely more ways to thrive in a LDR, these five tips will hopefully help your relationship last! Good luck, stay strong, and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Rebecca Wright is a freshman at the University of Georgia who hopes to major in visual/online journalism and minor in marketing. She loves photography, graphic design, music, chocolate chip cookies, and writing. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @beccamariewrong.
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).