5 Tips for Eating Healthy on the Meal Plan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Like many other students, you may feel that being on this unlimited meal plan might have a negative effect on your body. Is the dessert bar calling your name? Has pizza ever been so tempting? Even if you don’t want to admit it, all of us meal plan participants have been there. Here are a few tips to help you keep from exploding while you’re on meal plan.1. Portion Control

I used to think I knew what this was, but I was so wrong! A portion is roughly about the size of your fist. As long as you don’t get obnoxious amounts of fries (or whatever) and stick to portions, you will be golden!2. Pick a Dessert Time

Try to avoid getting that brownie for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday. Pick one time a day (perhaps dinner) that you will get dessert and you won’t see your thighs progressively widening.3. Physical Activity

I know exercise seems like it is impossible, but it is surprisingly easy to incorporate! Whether you go to the gym a few times a week or walk to all your classes, it is easy to burn some hard calories. Plus, the gym will balance out our very human splurge sessions.4. Go Green

Throw a fruit or veggie on your plate. It doesn’t have to actually be green, but it doesn’t hurt! Even if you don’t want to eat it while in the dining hall, grab something to go!5. Drink More Water

This seems so basic, but it’s surprising how many of those unwanted poundscome solely from consuming sugary beverages. Try to limit your consumption of soda and juice for a healthier you.

How do you make sure you’re staying healthy in the dining halls? Let us know by commenting below!

Chinazor Offor is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in Public Relations and minoring in Fashion Merchandising while seeking a certificate in New Media. You can usually find her dividing time between Her Campus UGA, watching game of thrones, and planning her move to sunny LA upon graduation. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter (@thechicrevolt).
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).