5 Steps to Getting Over Post-Election Day Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

For most Americans, this was their first time particiapting in a presidential election. Unfortunately, this election was brutal for everyone, but on the bright side, it’s officially over! *Cheers* But while everyone is celebrating, many people are upset because the person they voted for did not win. Here are five ways to get over your election day heart break. 

1. Do not go on social media. Social media is full of information that is made to rile a person up as opposed to settle them down. Avoid social media until innauguration, if possible. 

2. Write down goals for the next four years. It’s healthy to not get sucked into the “end-all, be-all” ideas that have been floating around for the past sixteen months. You are very likely to be able to do everything you wanted to do despite who the president is. 

3. Treat yo’ self. Doing something fun will allow people to get their mind off of the election. 

4. Hang out with friends and agree to not talk about politics. At times, people can forget that they were able to hold a conversation without bringing politics into the discussion. Spending time with friends will not only re-ground a person after this brutal election year, it will allow them to feel like they do have control over things that really matter.

5. Remember that at the end of the day, everyone is an American and Americans love Thanksgiving. By planning for Thanksgiving, not only will it keep people’s mind busy, it will also allow them to redirect their energy towards something that is positive. Who is picking up the turkey and preparing the sides? What time are the cousins flying in from Ohio? What is for dessert? This is the perfect time to find the answers to these all important questions.