4 Signs You Need to Take a Digital Break From Him

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.
So you and a guy are really hitting it off right? Things are going great right? But as things progress, you somehow can’t help but to feel like he’s pulling away and is losing interest in you. This may be a hard thing to face because you really really like him, but you may need to take a digital break from him. 

I’m not saying you should be rude and not take his calls or reply to his texts, but maybe you should take a little break and not text him first or call him multiple times. Sometimes, it’s hard to face the fact that you may be a little too available and, let’s be real here, for whatever reason, no guy wants a girl who’s always available when they want to hang out. Boys want a girl who has other things going on, a girl who has a life outside of him. Here are some signs that you may need to take a step back. 

1. He’s not nice to you anymore

At first, he’s holding doors for you and making sure you’re ok at every second. Then one day, things change. He stops holding doors for you and stops showing you an abundance of consideration. This may be a sign that you need to take a step back from him and do your own thing for a little while. He’s beginning to take you for granted and grow tired of your presence. 

2. He starts ditching you to do other things

A big sign that maybe it’s time to take a step back is when he starts ditching you to do other things or hang out with other friends. This happened to me once. I planned to hang out with someone after we went to the gym but, when he saw his friends playing volleyball, I immediately got hit with a “Bye, Felicia.” He had never done this before, he was usually ditching them to hang out with me. But this was no longer the case. It was a clear sign that maybe I should’ve taken a step back but I didn’t. 

3. He stops responding to your texts

If he stops texting you first or doesn’t reply to your texts all together like he used to, this may be a sign that he’s just busy but it also may mean that you need to take a break from him. If you are texting him all the time, you may overwhelm him and make him feel like you’re being clingy. No one and I mean no one likes someone who’s clingy. If you have absolutely nothing else to do but to text him, get a hobby girl! Get a life outside of him. 

4. He outright tells you that he needs space

This happened to me and I was honestly at a loss for words. No one had ever told me that they wanted space from me before. I didn’t know what to say or do so I simply said ok. In my case, there were many things going wrong in our relationship. He began to constantly put me down and would bail on our plans at the last minute. Listen up, ladies! That behavior is not okay. If it gets to the point where he outright tells you he wants space and tries to make you believe that there’s something wrong with you and not him, then girl it’s time to run. In this situation, I would highly suggest taking an indefinite digital break from this person because they clearly do not value you anymore.

I was naive enough to think that a little time apart would fix everything. It didn’t. I should’ve walked away the second he told me he wanted space, but I didn’t. Long story short: don’t text your romantic interest 24/7 and maybe take a digital break from everyone every once and awhile and take some time for yourself. 

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.