4 Reasons You Should Get Your Hair Done More Often

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

You live on a college budget and within the time constraints of a college schedule, but when you finally get the chance to set aside some money for yourself and plan a window of “me-time,” consider heading to the hair salon. Your pockets may not thank you right away, but you will thank yourself after spending a few hours getting a new “do.” Here are four reasons why you should get your hair done more often.

1. Someone else washes your hair for you.

You can’t deny that this is one of the main perks to getting your hair done. It might even be your favorite part. It’s not every day that someone else will shampoo, condition and massage your head for you, so take full advantage of the opportunity.

2. You get a free venting session.

Well, maybe not free because you are paying for your new “do”- but you get an uninterrupted hour to gab with your hair dresser about all the latest happenings in your life. Whether you use your time as a complaint session or you give her the latest highlight reel, she’s stuck with you. Unlike your boyfriend or your mom, she can’t leave, so you can vent as much as you’d like.

3. It’s an opportunity for newness.

Each time you make an appointment to get your hair done, you partake in the opportunity to showcase your style. This is your time to shine. Will you finally chop all your hair off or add a bold color? Are you looking to embrace a more classic look? Or do you love your current style, but you just want to freshen up your roots or your ends? Either way the world [or the scissors] are at your fingertips.

4. It’s one of the best confidence boosters.

Getting your hair done is medicine for boosting your esteem. A new hair style can completely transform your look. Not only do you pay for your hair dresser to cut or color your hair, you pay for her to style it too. This is your chance to soak up her tips, so that you can recreate the perfect look on your own. One thing’s sure, you will leave the salon with a strut in your step, and no one is going to stop you.

All gifs are from Giphy.

My name is Marlee Middlebrooks, and I am a May 2018 graduate of the University of Georgia. I was a dual degree student and earned my Bachelor of Arts in journalism as well as my Bachelor of Arts in communication studies. While in college, I was the Editor in Chief of UGAzine, a feature writer for Her Campus at UGA and a beat reporter for The Red and Black. I believe in the power of storytelling. I believe stories truly allow each of us to find a way to connect with one another. When I’m not telling stories, you can definitely find me in the Chick-fil-A drive thru or catching up on the current reality TV craze—my all time favorite show being Survivor.