timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

4 Podcasts You Need to Press Play On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

So…what is a podcast and why should I care?

Allow us to help you with that. The dictionary defines a podcast as “a digital audio file made available on the internet for downloading…typically avaulable as a series, new installments of which can be recieved by subscribers automatically.” Podcasts can be entertaining, informative, or probably both! You can download podcasts about science, food, history, technology…or just listen to people talk. Podcasts are a great way to learn something new outside the classroom, especially because they’re perfect for multitasking. Press play while you’re cleaning your room, or listen to the latest episode while you’re walking to class in the morning. Make dead time a little more fun and interesting! Need a few suggestions on what to listen to? We’ve got you covered.

1. Serial

Serial is the podcast that brought podcasts back to the public eye. In Season One, host Sarah Koenig looks into the details of a murder case involving Adnan Syed–a name which, if you haven’t heard it by now, you definitely should. The addictive series poses interesting questions about justice and journalism. Season Two is currently airing and explores the story of Bowe Bergdahl, a US soldier who was held prisoner by the Taliban.

2. Invisibilia

It can be fun to learn about how the human mind works. The ladies hosting the show explain and explore interesting elements of psychology. If you give it a listen, you’re sure to find out something new about the brain without ever stepping foot in a psychology class.

3. Stuff Mom Never Told You

A podcast from the people at How Stuff Works, but for the ladies out there. This podcast aims to inform and educate women everywhere with “the stuff mom never told you.”

4. Modern Love

This podcast includes audio versions of love-themed essays originally published in the New York Times. Currently #5 on the iTunes top podcasts list, Modern Love is a new series that is definitely making a splash in the podcast world.

Intrigued? Head to the Podcasts app on your iPhone or Google any of the shows mentioned to download your first podcast!

Kendall is pursuing a bachelors in journalism and a masters in emerging media in at the University of Georgia. After joining Her Campus UGA in the fall of 2015, she became one of the team's Campus Correspondents in fall 2016. During this time, HC UGA has flourished, moving from the Bronze level all the way to Pink, and it has been selected for national partnerships including the Her Campus Tour in 2018. Kendall hopes to someday work in the intersection of technology and journalism, and she adores books, travel, volunteering, and the color teal.