3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Make New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

The ball has long since dropped, the confetti has been cleaned up, and the “Happy New Year!” headbands and “2015!” glasses have been put away or tossed and forgotten.

We’re already nearing the end of January and, now that the parties and New Year festivities have ended, people are sitting down to figure out what their New Year’s resolutions will be. Maybe you’ve already recorded these determinations. Maybe you’re still deciding whether or not you even want to make resolutions. Or maybe you’ve just decided that New Year’s resolutions just aren’t your thing. 

If you identify with the latter scenario, that’s fine. We actually have a few reasons of our own regarding why you should avoid making New Year’s resolutions altogether.

1. They’re overwhelming

Making resolutions often means writing a list of every single thing you want to change about your lifestyle. The truth is, there are probably tons and tons of improvements that you want to make. If you wrote it all down, you’d have pages full of stuff! It’s hard to narrow your resolutions down to a realistic and manageable number. Save yourself the stress. 

2. Messing up can seem like the end of the world.

The pressure to stick to a resolution is intense. If you fail to adhere to a new resolve you’ve created, you’re sure to be hard on yourself. That’s what we ambitious collegiettes do! And yet, oftentimes, the first time people drift from their resolutions, they deem their mistakes cause to forgo their resolutions altogether. While it’s good to always strive to do and be better, messing up doesn’t mean that you’re not strong and capable.

3. Any time is a good time

You don’t need a new year to start over, to start making better decisions, or to improve yourself and your life. Each month is a new opportunity to make some modifications. Each week is a brand new time to tweak your habits. Shoot, each day is a new break for doing something different! You are not limited to one day a year to begin making positive changes. Consider vowing to do one thing better each day than you did the day before. 

All of this isn’t to say that making New Year’s resolutions can’t be fun or effective. If you do choose to create resolutions (and need some help committing to them), click here to find out the best ways to stick to your goals! 

Brianna is a fourth-year student majoring in magazine journalism at UGA.
Danielle is a senior at the University of Georgia majoring in English and minoring in Sociology. You can usually find her dividing her time between being Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UGA, binge-watching Grey's Anatomy on Netflix and daydreaming about being one of Beyonce's backup dancers. If you want to know more about Danielle, you can follow her on Instagram (@danielleknecole_) or Twitter (@DanielleKnecole).