13 Reasons Why Suicide Is Still an Important Topic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

With the debut of the popular Netflix show, 13 Reasons Why, it has brought back the topic of suicide. In the show, Hannah commits suicide after going through a series of slut shaming, back stabbing friends, and sexual assault at her high school. Suicide has been a prominent issue among young adults. With 13 Reasons Why, it has brought back awareness of teenage suicide. Here are 13 reasons why suicide is an important topic in today’s society.

1.  30,000 suicides happen each year in the USA.
  2.  During 2015, there was a reported 44,193 suicides.
  3. Between males and females, males make up 79% of suicides.  Women are more prone to having suicidal thoughts than actually commit suicide. 
  4. When suicide happens, it affects at least 6 other people.
  5. The 3rd leading cause of death for 15 to 24-year-olds is suicide.
  6. The rate of suicide for college students is around .5 and 7.5 per 100,000 students.
  7. Risk factors that can cause college students to commit suicide include: new environment, loss of a social network, pressure academically or socially, difficulty adjusting.
  8. Thoughts of comitting suicide has been reported to be 5 percent of graduate students and 18 percent of undergraduates.
  9. For every 11.9 minutes in the United States, a person takes their life.  
  10.  5-8 percent of Americans ages 18 and over deal with depression.
  11.  Studies by Yale University have found that bully victims are more likely to commit suicide than non-victims 2-9 times.
  12. In 2014, there was a reported 469,096 hospital visits due to injuries because of self-harming behavior.
  13.  Almost everyone who attempts or completes suicide gives a clue or warning in some casually or even jokingly manner. (For Example: “You’ll be sorry when I’m dead,” or “I can’t see any way out.”)

If you or anybody you know are considering suicide or showing signs of suicide, reach out to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. Educate yourself through Hannah’s story on 13 Reasons Why, Madison Holleran’s story, and many others that have taken their life because they felt like life would not get better for them. Your life is important and something worth living for. Nobody should go through this feeling alone.

Hey y'all. My name is Jayda Hill and I am currently a student at the University of Georgia trying to navigate adulting. I am Advertising major with a minor in Sports Management and a certificate in New Media. Besides writing, I enjoy laughing with friends, eating at my favorite places, reading, watching college football, movies, Youtube videos, and shows on Hulu and Netflix. I can't wait to channel my inner Carrie Bradshaw with Her Campus UGA.