12 Must-See Movies of 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

Now that 2016 has come to a close, we can look forward to new movie obsessions for this year! Being film junkies, we have to keep up with the new movies, whether they are sequels or stand-alones. After searching high and low, watching movie trailers, and going through IMDB pages, here are 12 movies you should be excited about this year. Grab some friends or take some “me time” and head to the theater because you’re going to want to experience these movies!

1. “Hidden Figures” – Out Now

Here is a movie you can go and see right now! Set in the 1960s, it follows the journey of three, strong African-American women (Taraji Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Janelle Monae) who work at NASA. If you need an empowering movie, watch these inspirational tales that were based on a true story!

2.”Thor: Ragnarok” – November 3, 2017

If you need some Chris Hemsworth in your life, like I do, get prepared. Thor is back! This movie also features Dr.Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Loki (Tom Hiddleston). This is one of a plethora of superhero movies coming out this year, so get ready. 

3. “Snatched” – May 12, 2017

This will be one of the must-see comedies of the year. Starring Amy Schumer, her character plays a recently-single woman who goes on a trip to Ecuador with her mother. Instead of a relaxing vacation, the pair gets kidnapped. If you are the type that loves to continuously laugh throughout a movie, you are going to want to schedule some time to see this!

4. “Dunkirk” – July 21, 2017

This World War 2 drama with Tom Hardy and Harry Styles (Yes! The One Direction star), tells a story of the struggles allied soldiers endured surrounded by the Germans. This made the list because I think everybody, including myself, is curious to see what Styles’ acting will be like in his first movie.

5. “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” – May 26, 2017

These movies may seem out-of-date and dragged on to some, but if you are a true “Pirates” fan, you will be excited for this to come out. With the return of Will Turner (Orlando Bloom), this makes this a must-see if you’ve seen the previous movies. Most of us grew up with these, and hopefully this wraps up the story of Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, and their crews.

6. “Star Wars 8” – December 15, 2017

This needs no explanation as to why it’s on the list. With the cliffhanger the last movie left us at, it’s safe to say you’re crazy if you don’t want to see this. The eighth movie has a lot of explaining to do for what is going on in the thick and overlapping plot lines! If you had to pick to go to any movie premiere, this would be a wise choice.

7. “The Dark Tower” – July 28, 2017

Starring Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, this movie should be on your list because of the unique storyline. It combines wild-west aspects with fantasy, action and adventure with a man trying to save his dying world. 

8. “Logan” – March 3, 2017

Another “X-Men” related movie? Yes. After the last movie, I wasn’t sure what to expect. This movie, set in the future, follows Logan (Hugh Jackman) who is trying to save a mutant made just like him. It will be curious to see where the movie takes viewers, seeing as all of these movies are unique and action-packed.

9. “Fifty Shades Darker” – February 10, 2017

I had to. Sorry! Whether you are a fan or not, these racy movies are some of the first of their kind for Hollywood. Grab your signifcant other or some girlfriends to go see this right before Valentine’s Day. 

10. “The Circle” – April 28, 2017

With amazing actors like Tom Hanks and Emma Watson, you know this movie has to be good. The plot is mysterious with hints at a storyline centered around technology too powerful for society. 

11. “Wonder Woman – June 2, 2017

This movie has been long awaited with another strong woman lead. Gal Gadot plays Wonder Woman in an adventure that tells her journey into how Wonder Woman became herself!

12. “Justice League” – November 17, 2017

Superhero overload? Just wait. Some of the heroes appearing in this movie include Superman, Batman, The Flash, Wonderwoman, and Aquaman. This movie’s plot was set up in “Batman vs Superman,” and now Bruce Wayne has to team up with other superheroes in order to defeat a great threat. Will this top “Avengers”?

What movie are you guys most excited to see this year?

I am a freshman at The University of Georgia this year who is an intended journalism major.