10 Tips to Avoid the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

PSA to all freshman: the freshman fifteen is a very real thing. Not to scare you but, well, it is. UGA is blessed with great dining halls and tons of options. While some of those options include curly fries, pizza, and philly cheese steaks, there are healthy options, too. ECV in particular has wraps, fruit and a different salad every night. The athletes tend to eat here more, too, so that’s always a plus. All that to say, weight gain in college is normal but with these ten tips it can be avoided or at least minimized.

1. Stay away from Snelling.

While Miss Sandra is an absolute angel, as far as your waistline is concerned, Snelling is one of the most dangerous places to find yourself in at the middle of the night. Anyone who’s been at UGA for long knows that midnight at Snelling is a magical time. Hot glazed donuts and gooey chocolate chip cookies are placed out in a bountiful array at this time every night. If you don’t have a sweet tooth, the bacon and biscuits served in the breakfast line will kill your diet just as fast. To commemorate freshman year, my friends and I spent our midnights in Snelling for our last two weeks and probably gained half of the freshman 15 in that time alone.

2. Buy a scale.

There’s definitely some truth to the saying “ignorance is bliss.” This was my battle cry freshman year, as far as my weight was concerned. I had no scale, no idea how much I weighed, and no premonitions about consuming whole pints of Ben & Jerry’s in one sitting. (If you’ve never tried the flavor Phish Food, you haven’t been living life right, btw). Don’t freak out about every little fluctuation in number when you do step on the scale, but every now and then it can be helpful to keep you honest.

3. Switch out the norts.

Now please hear me out. I love to walk around campus in norts and an oversized t-shirt as much as the next girl, but doing this all the time isn’t good for your diet. The ice cream cones and pasta at Bolton seem so much more innocent with all that extra wiggle room. Every now and then, throw on a pair of jeans instead. Your waistline, and future self, will thank you.

4. Walk—leg day is every day.

This one is easy. Our campus is beautiful and extremely spread out. Buses can be a necessity, but walking from class to class is often a viable option. So next time you have to walk up the endless stairs to the chemistry building, just think of the great workout you’re getting in.

5. Actually go to Ramsey.

Speaking of working out, Ramsey is a wonderful workout facility. There’s volleyball and basketball courts, a range of cardio/strength training equipment, rock climbing walls, a pool, and an indoor track. You also pay for this in your student fees, so you might as well make use of it.

6. Don’t be afraid to go into the “guy gym.”

If you’ve ever walked into Ramsey, chances are you’ve walked by the room with all of the glass doors, weights, and buff guys that you stared at for way too long. Yes those machines and guys can be intimidating, but have some fun, try it out, and maybe even ask one of them to help you out. Chances are they’d be more than willing to assist you. Strength training is just as important as cardio. The higher percentage of muscle you have, the faster your body will burn calories. Don’t worry about getting “bulky,” and embrace your new-found strength.

7. Watch out for empty calories.

Some calories just aren’t worth it. Try to save drink calories by mostly consuming water throughout the day. A soda with every meal can add up, without doing much to fill you up. If going out on the weekends is your type of thing, stick to one or two drinks and be sure to pace yourself and drink water as well. 

8. Stay hydrated.

Drink water. Just do it. The weather is so hot right now to be walking around campus without a water bottle. Drinking enough water helps to flush out toxins in your body, while getting your metabolism to run at full speed. It’ll also help you feel full, and with filtered water everywhere around campus you don’t really have any excuses not to be drinking it. 

9. Snack.

This isn’t a joke. Snacking is very helpful as long as the foods you’re putting into your body are well-balanced. Research has shown that eating smaller meals with snacks throughout the day can increase your metabolism and help to keep you feeling full. If you snack during the day, you’ll also be less likely to overeat at meal time.

10. Live by the 80/20 rule.

Living a healthy lifestyle is all about balance. If you’re eating healthy foods 80% percent of the time, it’s okay to eat a little ice cream or a few french fries every now and then. As long as you are taking care of your body, a little weight gain isn’t the end of the world. The number on the scale doesn’t define you. Focus on eating foods that provide nutritional value as opposed to thinking about all of the foods you shouldn’t be eating. Overall, a healthier lifestyle will contribute to better hair, clearer skin, and a less stressful year of college.

Hey there, I'm a sophomore at UGA and absolutely love it here in Athens. Writing, photography, coffee, and people are a few of my many passions. I'm an intended journalism major and couldn't be more excited to be a part of the her campus team.