This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UGA chapter.

This year is going to be filled with exciting new movies as well as the sequels we’ve been waiting for. Our cinematic experience is going to be filled with books and comics turned into movies and retellings of classics. We are so pumped for all the great new movies that are coming out this year. Things are definitely looking up in 2018, at least in the movie realm. 

1. A Wrinkle in Time 

Not only is this an amazing book, but the movie is jam-packed with an all-star cast. Reese Witherspoon, Oprah, Mindy Kaling and Chris Pine? Is there a better combination than that? We can’t think of one! If the movie is anything like the previews, it will definitely live up to the classic book we have all come to know and love. Themes that are present in the book such as death, non-conformity and truth will also having a strong presence in the movie. With the way things are going in 2018, truth and non-conformity will play a large role in our society. We absolutely cannot wait to see Disney’s take on this beloved book. This movie will be coming out March 9.

2. Solo: A Star Wars Story 

(SPOILER AHEAD) Who doesn’t love classic Star Wars? Ever since we saw Han’s death we can’t help but want to see more of him. The film will feature Alden Ehrenreich as young Han, not quite Harrison Ford but we’ll take it. The film events will take place before Star Wars IV: A New Hope and we will get to see what Han was up to before he joined Luke and Leia in their fight against the dark side. And we can’t wait to see more of Chewy. The movie is scheduled to be released on the 41st anniversary of Star Wars IV: A New Hope. (Wow 41 years!) This movie will be coming out May 25.

3. Avengers: Infinity War

The most exciting thing about this movie is how the Guardians of the Galaxy will be making an appearance. We don’t know how or why but we are thrilled to see it. The world wanted an Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy team up and they certainly got it. They team up to defeat Thanos and prevent him from collecting the infinity stones and becoming all powerful. This movie is set four years after the events of Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2 and after the events of Captain America: Civil War. Another awesome fact about this movie is that it was filmed in Georgia. This movie will be coming out May 4.

4. Black Panther 

Another addition to the Marvel Universe that we are so excited for. Black Panther is a character that we haven’t heard much about in any of the prior Marvel movies. The movie centers around King T’Challa aka Black Panther as he joins forces with Wakanda’s special forces called Dora Milaje to prevent a world war. Little else is known about the plot but we think that any Marvel movie is worth watching. It will be interesting and exciting to follow King T’Challa and his kingdom of Wakanda.This movie will be coming out February 16. 

5. The Incredibles 2 

We have been waiting for this movie for 14 years, ever since The Incredibles came out in 2004. We all thought that a sequel wasn’t in sight, but we were proven wrong and we’re happy about it. Our favorite superhero family is back for another adventure. The movie will take place directly after the events of the first movie, so it will feel like we are picking up right where we left off. We can’t wait to uncover Jack-Jack’s’ secret powers and see more of Frozone and the rest of the family. Hopefully some of the humor from the first one will make it into the second. This movie will be coming out June 15.

6. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 

Chris Pratt is back and reunited with his dinosaur babies. Instead of something going terrible wrong at a park where dinosaurs are being viewed by humans, the humans go into the park to save the dinosaurs before the island is destroyed and takes everything in its path along with it. This plot will be a refreshing breath of air and keep us on the edge of our seats in different ways. We’re just excited to see more of Chris Pratt. This movie will be coming out June 22.

7. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again! 

Yet another movie with an all-star cast. Cher, Amanda Seyfried, Meryl Streep, Lily James and Colin Firth. This movie is not your typical Mamma Mia!. The movie will be centering around Sophie, now pregnant, who is worried that she can’t do it without her mother. Tanya and Rosie reassure Sophie by telling her a story of Donna, Sophie’s mother, and about her pregnancy without her mother to guide her. The situation parallels Sophie’s and is an interesting story. It will be an interesting addition to the classic Mamma Mia! story we have all come to love. The movie will feature Abba songs, that we have all come to love. This movie will be coming out July 20.

8. X-Men: Dark Phoenix

Yet another Marvel franchise that we’ve come to know and love. X-Men movies never fail to deliver action and comedy in each of their unique installments. Unlike X-Men Apocalypse, this movie is set in the 1990’s. I think we’re all excited to see the 90’s clothes and technology (or lack thereof.) We are excited to see where this installment will take our favorite characters: Jean Grey, Professor X, Magneto, Quicksilver, Mystique, Storm and Nightcrawler. This movie will concentrate on Jean and the Phoenix Force. According to IMDB, the main plot of the movie is that Jean develops dark and corrupting powers that turn her into the dark phoenix. The X-Men must decide whether the one life is worth more than the millions on Earth. We’re interested to see where Disney will take this franchise. This movie will be coming out on Nov. 2.

9. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 

This movie is for all you Harry Potter fans out there. The most exciting aspect about this movie is that we get to meet young Dumbledore. So far, we’ve only had the information about his life prior to Harry that was mentioned in the books or disclosed by J.K Rowling. Unlike the last movie, which took place in 1920’s New York, this installment will take place in Paris and Europe. We are incredibly excited to learn more about the obscurus and just what Grindelwald did to make him so bad. Of course, our favorite sisters, Tina and Queenie are back in this movie. Another mystery we are excited to solve is the role of Leta Lestrange in Newt’s life. This movie will be coming out Nov. 16.

10. Mary Poppins Returns

There’s a new Mary Poppins in the works and we’re hoping it’s as amazing as the first one. We have high expectations for anything that Lin-Manuel Miranda does (Hamilton creator and playwright.) In this installment, Jane and Micheal Banks are all grown up and living in 1930’s London. Mary Poppins will return after Micheal suffers a devastating loss. We just can’t wait to see what songs Lin-Manual Miranda will come up with. This movie will be coming out Dec. 25.

Prepare yourselves for the awesome movies that are coming out this year. 

Cover Photo by Jake Hills on Unsplash

Movie Info via Wikipedia, IMDB

Erin Gilmore is a Georgia native, born and raised in Forsyth County. Since 2015, she has been attending The University of Georgia. She is majoring in Risk Management and Insurance and Advertising. She loves to learn new things and go on adventures with her friends. In her free time, she likes to hang out with her dogs, read and travel.