YouTube Channels You Need to Follow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s middle of finals week, which means it’s time to take a break from studying to relax with some YouTube binging. Not sure where to start? Here are the best of the best in every category you could possibly want:

MUSIC

1. Pentatonix: After winning the TV reality show The Sing Off as the best a capella group, Pentatonix already has an EP and two albums released featuring pop mash-ups and covers as well some hauntingly beautiful originals. The group of five is crazy talented with unique voices, personalities, and style, which is what makes the whole group so awesome. What to watch first: Evolution of Music.

2. Lindsey Stirling: This artist does violin covers of TV-show and video-game theme songs, plus her collaborations with other really cool musicians are pretty much flawless. She even does a YouTube exclusive version of “All of Me” with John Legend! Her videos are always incredibly cinematic with interesting scenery as backdrops to her already stellar music. What to watch first: Pokémon Dubstep Remix.

3. Todrick Hall: Todrick Hall arranges pop mash-ups and covers and plays them out to well-known fairytales and movies with his own twist. The costumes, vocals, and frequent guest stars make for an amazing and dynamic channel with high production value and interesting music. What to watch first: The Wizard of Ahhhs by Todrick Hall ft. Pentatonix.

4. Tori Kelly: She is one of many YouTube success stories, having launched her successful music career with raw talent and a guitar. Her angelic and fragile voice has amazing falsetto and range. It also helps that she’s absolutely gorgeous. What to watch first: Suit & Tie (Acoustic Cover) – Tori Kelly.

COMEDY

1. Superwoman: The unapologetically dorky friend we all wish we had, Lilly Singh a.k.a. Superwoman makes videos that are ridiculously relatable. From struggles with parents and friends to periods, school, and everything in between, Superwoman’s videos are guaranteed to make you smile. What to watch first: How Girls Get Ready…

2. Kingsley: Kingsley goes on the rants about things we all wish we had the guts to vent about. Everything that you’ve ever been vaguely annoyed by, Kingsley goes on a full on tirade about, and you’ll be nodding your head in approval. What to watch first: Miley Cyrus and Her Wrecking Ball.

3. Tyler Oakley: This guy has one of the sweetest, most endearing personalities on YouTube. Each of his videos makes you feel like you’re catching up with a close friend, which is probably why they can so easily make anyone’s day. What to watch first: Opening XXX Fanmail.

4. Finebrothers: The Fine brothers have a wide range of interesting vlogs and series, but the most recognizable are the “Elders React” and “Kids React” series. It’s hilarious to see the older generation react to Eminem’s “Rap God” and the song “#Selfie.” Similarly, it’s entertaining to see little kids try to figure out how to use a Walkman or a rotary phone. Although most of their videos are hilarious, some of their videos cover serious topics and really make you think. What to watch first: Kids React to Controversial Cheerios Commercial.

INFORMATIONAL

1. Feminist Frequency: Anita Sarkeesian is one of the most outspoken, yet levelheaded, proponents for feminism on the Internet. Despite her purely fact-based arguments for a less sexist portrayal of women in media, she’s gotten an awful amount of hate to the point that she’s had to disable comments on her videos out of fear from death threats. Start off by watching the 2011 Tropes vs. Women series, and see how many of them you notice in the media that you consume. What to watch first: #1 The Manic Pixie Dream Girl (Tropes vs. Women).

2. Vlogbrothers: This channel offers a web series in which brothers Hank and John Green (of The Fault In Our Stars fame) post weekly vlogs to each other. I strongly believe that the world would be a better place if everyone just watched their videos. Covering topics as diverse as religion, sexuality, politics, and travel, the Green brothers seek to open the minds of their audience or at least provide them with a challenging perspective. What to watch first: Human Sexuality is Complicated.

3. Vice: The Vice News YouTube channel is all kinds of awesome. Covering bizarre, neglected news and stories from around the world, Vice’s videos will leave you so much more knowledgeable about world issues that you probably didn’t even know existed. What to watch first: Sneaking Into North Korea.

BEAUTY

1. Chriselle Lim: With a tagline of “Stay Chic,” Chriselle’s channel is devoted to all things stylish. Each video is full of tips and advice for your wardrobe that are always a step ahead of current trends. She also devotes a lot of her video to making single items work in the most versatile ways possible. What to watch first: How to Style a Basic White Tshirt.

2. essiebutton: Although there are many YouTube channels devoted to dramatic makeup transformations or eye shadow-heavy looks, essiebutton is great for natural day-to-day makeup tutorials. Also, the maker of essiebutton has the most adorable, approachable personality, which sets her apart from many of the other makeup gurus on YouTube. What to watch first: Spring Makeup Tutorial #SpringTrilogy.

3. Patricia Bright: The wonderfully classy Patricia Bright has a wide variety of style, fashion, beauty, and makeup videos that she narrates in her posh British accent. Also, by focusing more on drugstore makeup brands, her looks are a lot more reasonably priced than many other YouTube beauty experts. What to watch first: Updated Easy Everyday Makeup Routine.

Whether you’re still cramming for exams and need a little study break or you’re finished for the semester and have no idea what to do with yourself, these YouTube channels are sure to pass the time. Enjoy collegiettes™!

Photo Credits: www.ryanseacrest.comwww.i1.ytimg.comwww.media.dfw.comwww.desitrend.s3.am…

Antara Sinha is a sophomore journalism/pre-med major at the University of Florida. She is a contributing writer for USA Today College, and this is her third semester as a writer for Her Campus UFL. Her interests include health, science and lifestyle writing, and she plans on pursing medical and science journalism.
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.