Why Rent the Runway is the Wardrobe Hack You Need This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We’ve all been there — the clock is ticking until your big party or interview that’s just days away, and you have nothing to wear. It’s the end of spring semester, which means your checking account is not too keen at the idea of you purchasing a brand new ensemble that’ll sit in your closet after you wear it once (or twice, if you don’t post an Insta pic in it) — but you still need to put your best foot forward. Plus, with summer around the corner, you’re most likely searching for office-chic ensembles and other pieces to spice up your look. Where do you start?

Enter Rent the Runway, the fashion rental service that’s a total game-changer for collegiettes looking to make a statement without breaking the bank (or hoarding temporarily trendy pieces that take up precious closet space).

With this convenient, fun-to-use and sustainable fashion service, you can rent designer pieces and rock them for a set number of days, then send them back (without even worrying about dry cleaning — RTR’s got that taken care of). You’ll pay a fraction of the retail price of gorgeous pieces from designers and brands you’re already obsessed with, like Free People, Rebecca Minkoff, Show Me Your Mumu and Kate Spade (among so many others). The RTR online catalog is home to thousands of pieces, which you can search based on style, designer and price. Here’s how it works.

1. Pick your piece

Search through RTR’s huge selection of RTR dresses, clothing and accessories for just about any occasion — cocktail, career and more.

2. Choose two sizes

RTR allows customers to pick two sizes for no extra charge, so you won’t be stuck with a garment that doesn’t fit. *Phew!* 

3. Wear and return

When you place your rental order, you can opt to keep your pieces for either four or eight days, giving you tons of flexibility if you have a weekend event or if you want to rock your look all week long. Then, just ship the rentals back on your return date. As Ina Garten/the Barefoot Contessa would say: How easy is that?

Another fun fact: Rent the Runway has way more than dresses. Looking for the perfect crossbody for a night on the town?

Rebecca Minkoff Leather Sofia Crossbody Bag ($35 rental on Rent the Runway — compared with $245 retail)

Maybe you need a statement necklace for a formal event at the office.

Oscar de la Renta Blue Shadow Necklace ($150 rental on Rent the Runway — compared with $995 retail)

…or a beachy clutch for a weekend trip.

Clare V. Turkish Delight Clutch ($25 rental on Rent the Runway — compared with $195 retail)

Whether you’ll be soaking up the Florida sun in style or are headed to the city for an awesome internship, Rent the Runway just might be the perfect way to amp up your wardrobe. 

No matter where your summer takes you, may it be a stylish one.

Be sure to stop by our Study Break event with Rent the Runway this Wednesday, 4/25. We’ll be in Turlington Plaza from 11:30 to 1. Hang out with the HC UFL team, learn more about RTR and enter in an exciting raffle. Can’t wait to see you there!

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.