Why Hufflepuff is Actually the Best House at Hogwarts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

When I was sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore, I wasn’t sure how to feel about it. If I’m being honest with myself, I always thought Hufflepuff was the most irrelevant house. But once I read my welcome letter and learned a little bit more about Hufflepuff, I was thrilled with my new home. Here’s why Hufflepuff is actually the best Hogwarts house.

1. Hufflepuff is the kindest house
While many may think this title would go to Gryffindor, they actually tend to be boastful and arrogant, which are qualities Hufflepuffs simply don’t posses.

2. J.K. Rowling’s favorite house is Hufflepuff
“Hufflepuff is my favorite house in some ways,” J.K. Rowling said in a web chat with fans. “There comes a point in the book where each house has a chance to rise up to a certain challenge. The Slytherins decided they’d rather not play, the Ravenclaws — some play, some won’t — but the Hufflepuffs stay to fight. The Gryffindors are comprised of lots of hearty and show off people. The Hufflepuffs stayed for a different reason. They didn’t want to show off, they weren’t being reckless. That’s the essence of Hufflepuff.”

3. They’re closest to the kitchen
Let’s be real. This is actually a huge perk. The locations of the other common rooms simply do not measure up to the central location of the Hufflepuff common room.

4. Hufflepuffs are known for their loyalty
“Hufflepuffs are trustworthy and loyal,” said the Hufflepuff welcome letter. “We don’t shoot our mouths off, but cross us at your peril; like our emblem, the badger, we will protect ourselves, our friends and our families against all-comers. Nobody intimidates us.”

5. They have the best theme song
Because black and yellow are their colors, so that’s obviously their theme song.

6. (Honey)Badgers don’t give a s***
Hufflepuff’s mascot really says it all. They don’t care.

7. Hufflepuff has produced the fewest dark wizards of any house
This goes along with how kind Hufflepuffs are. They just tend to stay out of trouble, and as a result, every other house has produced more dark wizards than Hufflepuff.

8. Unlike some other houses, humility is important to Hufflepuffs
The welcome letter says it best: “So as you can see, we’ve produced more than our fair share of powerful, brilliant and daring witches and wizards, but just because we don’t shout about it, we don’t get the credit we deserve.” Hufflepuffs may not brag about their accomplishments like some other houses, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have accomplishments to be proud of.

9. Notable alumni include…
Cedric Diggory and Nymphadora Tonks. I would go so far as to say that these two characters are two of the least-hated characters in the Harry Potter series. Cedric and Tonks were both brave, charismatic and kind. They were fan favorites, until they met their unfortunate ends.

10. Their common room is dope
According to Pottermore, “Hufflepuff’s common room is round and cozy, with low ceilings and circular windows showing rippling grass and dandelions. The room always seems sunny, a feeling enhanced by the copper furnishings and the overstuffed yellow and black sofas and chairs. Plants hang from the ceiling or sit on windowsills; many of these are unusual specimens that Professor Sprout brings as decorations.” I don’t know about you, but that sounds like a place I’d like to chill.

I hope you can now reevaluate the accuracies of the stereotypes you may have heard about Hufflepuff house. Each Hogwarts house has its redeeming qualities (except Slytherin, let’s be real), but I stand by my belief that Hufflepuff is the greatest of them all.