Why ‘The Golden Girls’ are the OG Leading Ladies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

You think the cast of Sex and the City were an amazing quartet? Well, The Golden Girls were definitely the trendsetters in this realm.

It’s time we recognize this show and thank them for being a friend. As everyone can see, there has been a trend over the last two years to revise or remake successful old television show. One show that I’m glad they haven’t touched (but I’m sad that people forget) is The Golden Girls.

Dorothy, Rose, Blanche and Sophia were the original and more relatable versions of all of us or what we may be like once we’re older. What made the show so iconic and now timeless was the seamless and hilarious way they covered difficult and touchy subject matter.

They covered topics like homelessness, AIDS, homosexuality, transvestism, prescription pill addiction, sexual harassment, interracial love, poor elderly care and assisted suicide. The whole entire series was centered on the honest lives of women of a more mature age who made their way through daily struggles even as simple as dealing with horrible neighbors.

The thing that made The Golden Girls truly special was the memorable nature of each character. They had some pretty amazing one-liners that got laughs from even the youngest viewers.

Rue McClanahan as Blanche Devereaux

A glitzy Southern Belle who was crazy about men was always a bit in her own world, Blanche he taught us about the line between having fun and getting a bad name for yourself.

Best line: “There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.”

Betty White as Rose Nylund

A ditz from Minnesota, Rose was pretty much everyone’s favorite on the show.

Rose told stories that more than half of the time no one understood but just went along with. Honestly, the things we remember the most from her are stories and lessons about her hometown, St. Olaf’s.

Best line: “Let me tell you about a lesson I learned when i was a little girl in St. Olaf. If you hold a bird gently, the bird will stay. If you squeeze the bird, it’s eyes will bug out.”

Bea Arthur as Dorothy Zbornak

Dorothy was the sarcastic know-it-all on the show.

About 90% of the time, Dorothy was over everyone else’s drama, and she definitely showed it. An important lesson we learned from her is that women don’t have to be happy all of the time. Dorothy could take jabs at her friend or show her distaste with life at the moment, and that was perfectly fine.

Best line: (After Rose asks, “Where are you going?”) Dorothy: “To get ice cream. Or commit a felony. I’ll decide in the car.”

Estelle Getty as Sophia Petrillo

Sophia was Dorothy’s Sicilian mother who seemed to have invented shade before it was even a word. Sophia was the voice of unfiltered reason for the show. She taught us about acceptance and honesty.

Best line: “She happens to like girls instead of guys. Some people like cats instead of dogs. Frankly I’d rather live with a lesbian than a cat. Unless the lesbian sheds, then I don’t know.”

Overall, these women taught us exactly who we are without apologies, so thanks to The Golden Girls for being a lifelong friend.

Tranelle Maner is a senior at the University of Florida. She is majoring in journalism with a concentration in film and media studies. Her business aspirations include but are not limited to becoming Editor-in-Chief of a magazine as well as becoming a social media strategist for a large brand or company. She has a passion for podcasts, watching too many cooking videos and scrolling through social media. In her free time she enjoys writing different reaction and opinion articles as well as trying new recipes.