jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

This is What Happens When You Love Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Everyone always emphasizes the importance of loving yourself. People always say you must love who you are before you can love someone else. I did not understand this until I got to college. When I learned how to embrace myself, who I am and what my goals are, I became a completely different person.

Completely knowing and understanding yourself is key to becoming the person you want to be, and it allows you to put emphasis on what you want and how you want to live your life. After coming to this realization, I decided to compile a list of what loving yourself is actually like.

You enjoy your own company

Some people cannot stand to be alone, and I completely understand that. Before, I hated hanging out on my own. I always wanted to be in the company of others.

However, after moving away for college, I realized that I was going to be forced to spend a lot of my time alone. I had to learn how to deal with that. Soon enough, I realized that being alone was not that bad at all. I began to enjoy being my only company.

You become more tolerable

As I mentioned before, I learned to tolerate myself. This was really important to me because I realized what it was that could make me be seen as intolerable by others.

So, I fixed those flaws. By making myself more tolerable for me, I feel that I have made myself more tolerable for others as well.

You become more courageous

I realized that now that I know what I want and what I am looking forward to, I am full-speed ahead. I take much larger risks than I ever would have before. And this is all because I know I can. I trust in myself to succeed, and if I fail, I know that I will be able to bounce back.

This has helped me a lot because I have done some things that perhaps I would have been scared to do before, but now I am not. Plus, it has led me to some great opportunities.

You know your worth

You won’t settle for anything less. This goes hand-in-hand with being courageous. By knowing what you are worth, you are able to have the courage to turn down offers, simply because you know that there are better things out there for you.

When you know what you are capable of attaining, you will attain it. You can reach for the stars and actually get there.

You believe in yourself

This one is most important. You have to be your own number one fan. You are in charge of motivating yourself and pushing yourself to do well. When you believe in yourself and your capabilities, you can conquer the world. By embracing who you are, you are able to get there.

Love yourself, and the rest of the world will love you too. 

Alexis Howard is a first-year telecommunication student at the University of Florida. Ever since she can remember, she’s had a passion for communication and telling stories. She began her career in broadcast journalism back in high school and continues to pursue this passion at the collegiate level. Aside from being a features writer for Her Campus UFL, she is currently a writer/reporter for WUFT Noticias and is also involved with the Hispanic Student Association as part of their Hispanic-Latinx Student Assembly’s marketing team. She is also part of the office staff for the Florida Scholastic Press Association. Alexis is very passionate about writing, storytelling and bringing light to issues underrepresented in current media.