This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Carolina MontesAge: 18Year: freshmanMajor: political science and RussianHometown: Bradenton, FL

Her Campus: When did you start weightlifting and why?Carolina Montes: I started to strictly concentrate on Olympic lifting almost a year ago. I’ve always been an athlete my entire life, but I wanted a new challenge that would test my capabilities.”

HC: What kinds of thoughts run through your head when you are lifting?CM: Well, the funny thing is that when you’re performing a lifting you never want to overthink it or think too much. But usually before a big lift I just run through the positions and motions and give myself a little pep talk.”

HC: Have you ever done Olympic-level training or would you ever?CM: I think almost every lifter’s goal is to get Olympic-level training, and that’s a big goal, but it’s very difficult. It’s truly a small percentage that is offered high Olympic-level training, but the best training is a coach that understands how your body works and that makes programs specific for you to be able to progress the most.”   

HC: Do you think you could make it to the Olympics or a high-level competition?CM: To be honest, I don’t think I’ll ever make it to the Olympics. I’m not being negative or setting myself up for failure, but competing in the Olympic games takes several years and hours a day. It’s your career in a sense. Of course I would compete if I ever got a chance, but the odds are extremely slim. I do however see myself continuing to compete on a state and national level.”

HC: How do you stay in shape? What does your diet and exercise routine consist of?CM: Personally I believe that nutrition sets the foundation for how you perform, regardless of what sport you play, or if you even play a sport. What you put in your body is what you get out. I try my best to stick to a Paleo diet, which consists of vegetables, lean meats, nuts and seeds, little starch and no sugar, but every once in a while, I’ll enjoy a good treat of pizza and ice cream. It’s important to have a healthy relationship and balance with food. As far as my training goes, I’ll be in the gym or on the platform 24 hours a day five to six days a week with one or two rest days usually. You should always be wanting to push your body to new limits, but you should also be letting your body rest and recover properly. So with that in mind, I love active recovery days where I’ll go paddle boarding or for a low-intensity run, instead of just laying in bed all day. I’m not saying that you have to exert hours in the gym to be in good shape, but that’s just what is required from me as an Olympic lifter. I always like reminding people to treat their bodies well with what they eat and regular exercise.”

HC: What was your most memorable lifting experience?CM: I have many great moments at meets where I hit a PR (personal record), and that’s always an amazing feeling, but my favorite time during meets is when I prepare to lift. Having my team by my side and other competitors cheer you on is a great feeling. The atmosphere is very motivating.”

HC: What is the most difficult part about lifting?CM: Both mental strength and physical strength are interdependent on each other, but I would say that mental strength is the most difficult to gain. Getting comfortable with putting more than 100 pounds over your head is not easy, especially when you get close to 200 pounds. Trusting yourself and having confidence that you can perform a lift is crucial and it’s something that I have struggled with in the past. I also like to highlight that there is a huge failure margin in lifting, but you can’t let it affect you, especially while competing. I have this saying, and it’s even on a piece of plywood above my bed. ‘If at first you don’t succeed… Chalk up.’ There will be days where you don’t perform to the best of your abilities, and that’s normal, but it should never stop you from continuing to improve. You really need to have a ‘tough up’ mindset, and I think this can apply to many aspects of life, not just lifting.”

HC: Is there anything else you want to add?CM: There is a new generation of women in lifting/fitness raising up, and they believe in something bigger than themselves and their bodies, and we believe it’s okay to look, talk, train and move like an athlete. I’m on a mission to break the stereotype on how a woman’s body should look. My body is not shredded; I do not have a six pack, nor do I have a thigh gap. Don’t ever feel pressured to look how our society tells you to look. I’ve been told I have a masculine body or that I look too ‘bulky,’ whatever that means, but I play by my own rules and I know that every single muscle in my body is a representation of what I have worked for. Don’t let your priorities be compromised by another person’s view. Never stop doing you.”

Photo credit: Carolina Montes