Wednesday Wisdom: An Open Letter to High School Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Dear High School Seniors,

First of all, congratulations! You’ve almost wrapped up the 12 years of your life that you thought would never end. As you take the SAT for the sixth time to get that coveted scholarship, it’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Soon, the endless amount of hours spent perfecting college applications will pay off. In these last few months, it’s normal to feel confused and a little all over the place. As much as you anticipate the day of graduation when you can finally show off your cap and gown, you don’t want to rush things. Take in every last moment you have of your high school days because, believe it or not, soon you’ll wish you could do it all over again.

Don’t worry if nothing makes sense right now.
It might not seem like it right now, but everything is going to fall into place and work out for the best. If you didn’t get into the college you dreamed about, it’s for the best. Your second (or even third) choice might be better than your first choice, and you don’t even know it yet. College admission processes are competitive and sometimes brutal, but remember that you are worth more than any rejection letter. Life has ups and downs, but trust that you’ll have the ability to thrive at any college you attend.

It’s okay to go to a different school than all your friends.
Leaving your friends might sound like a terrifying thought, but starting fresh is never a bad idea. If you go to college where all of your friends are going, it’s like you never left high school. College is all about experiencing new people and living life beyond comfort zones. It’s perfectly fine to branch out to tap into everything your post high school life can offer. Plus, if your high school friends are worth keeping around, you’ll find a way to reunite in each other’s new college towns, which is way more exciting.

Work on relationships before you leave.
Your last few months of school are a season of goodbyes. Be kind to everyone because you never know the last time you’ll see someone. Settle differences with the best friend you grew apart from. Spend a little extra time with your school’s guidance counselor. (Hint: He or she knows what they’re talking about.) Watch more lame TV shows with your parents and stay at the dinner table a little longer. Let everyone who has made a difference in your life know how much they mean to you.

Slow down.
These next few months are going to fly by and you’re going to miss all the little quirks of the place you call home. One night while you’re laying in your college dorm bed, all the memories of your hometown will flood your head as you remember driving through back roads and eating at your favorite mom-and-pop restaurant that you have to be a local to know. You’re only in high school once and there are no take backs, so there’s no need to rush.

My last words of wisdom: Finish strong with your last year. Your acceptance letter doesn’t mean you should stop trying in your classes. Keep working for your diploma. Cherish the little moments and appreciate what you have. Most of all, have fun, get excited and enjoy the rest of senior year because college is a whole new adventure.

Photo credit: Brian Kraus Photography