Wednesday Wisdom: How to Land a Summer Job or Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

As the semester makes its course, people are starting to ask “What are your plans this summer?” Or if this is your last semester, you might be faced with the scary question “Do you know what you’re doing after graduation?” It’s officially time to start thinking about those summer internships or post-graduation jobs, so keep reading to learn how to nail your job- or internship-hunting experience.

The First Impression
Your first interaction with an employer may be through an elevator pitch at a networking event, or maybe through uploading your resume into a sea of applications online. Either way, make sure you stand out and start strong. Remember how in Legally Blonde, Elle had a pink, scented resume? Go big or go home. Don’t be afraid to add your personal touch to things. Whether that’s by having a uniquely designed resume or by telling the recruiter about your special interests in an elevator pitch, employers want to know what makes you different than every other candidate. Employers look at a resume for approximately 10-30 seconds, and the longest an elevator pitch should last is one minute – so make a big impact!

The Interview
Here’s a scenario that sums up the interview process…

The recruiter went over your resume or reached out after Career Showcase and thinks you have potential! He or she gives you a call and wants to set up an interview time (*cue the nerves*). By this point, you might be totally unfamiliar with the company, or maybe you know the company’s values, strategy and mission statement like the back of your hand. It’s so important that you do research before the interview. Show that you care about the position by doing an hour of research on what the company is about. The interviewer will be looking for that. I’ll never forget when I sat down in an interview and the first question was “So, what do you know about (company name)?” Don’t let a question throw you off, and do the research so you can answer with confidence.

As you’re answering the seemingly never-ending questions, you’ll start to notice that your face hurts from the fake smile you’ve been holding for the last 20 minutes. It’s perfectly fine to relax and be yourself. Sometimes, it’s even better to pretend that the interviewer is one of your friends to calm your nerves. These company recruiters have led hundreds of interviews, and they can spot a phony contender from a million miles away. Show them who you actually are, not who you can pretend to be for an hour.

You finally get to the end of the interview and suddenly you’re asked, “So what questions do you have for me?” This happens in every interview. Don’t let this one throw you off. Ask some cool questions that you’re genuinely interested in knowing the answers to. Everyone asks “What does a typical work day look like?” or “What are your company’s values?” Be original – ask about what the most challenging part of the job is or what the next steps in the career path looks like. Don’t hesitate when asking these questions. Be proactive and confident. This is usually the last part of the interview, so it’s up to you to end it on a high note.

The Follow-Up
I’ve always been told that one of the most important parts of the interview happens after you leave. Make sure to follow up with your interviewer by sending a thank you card, a personalized email or something similar. There is a good chance the interviewer sat down with multiple people that day, so make yourself stand out! It’s important to set yourself apart whether it’s with your monogrammed stationary or a well thought-out, grammatically correct email. However, there is one caveat to this… Do not be weirdly persistent or pushy. If the employer doesn’t respond to your thank you email, you don’t need to send three more emails to make sure they got it. Following up is good, but being clingy is not. You want them to remember you as the girl who rocked her interview, not the girl they had to send to their spam folder.

After all of the preparation and anxiety, breathe a sigh of relief because you just landed the job. It may be a surprise to you, but the acceptance of the offer is just as important as the interview. Be sure to accept in a timely manner, and if you’re unsure if you want to accept, it’s okay to ask questions before saying yes. In fact, your interviewer may respect that you’re taking the process seriously. All your hard work paid off, so it’s time for the last step: Celebrate your success! You deserve it.

Photo credit: intstudentjobs.com