UF Alum Tells All: What You Need to Know About Going to Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

For all of the seniors out there, you might be considering attending grad school. (*Screams internally*) There are plenty of articles out there about the transition from high school to college, but not many tell the story of the transition from undergraduate to graduate school.  I interviewed Emily, a recent UF graduate, about the changes that occurred when she left UF and started graduate courses at UCF.

HC: What made you decide to go to grad school?

“I definitely knew I wanted to go to grad school because I didn’t like the idea of starting my career at 22. I didn’t feel prepared for that. Not only that, but grad school also tends to lead to a better salary, so that was a plus. Since I’m working toward a PhD, I get to do more research and learn more about different processes. I think this will beneficial when I eventually start my career.”

HC: What is the time commitment like? How is it different from grad school?

“It is a major time commitment. In undergrad, you have a lot of assignments and that helps you stay on track. In grad school, you maybe have one or two homework assignments or papers, and then three exams. It is really up to you to keep up with the readings.”

HC: What do you wear to class? Is it more formal than undergrad?

“My program doesn’t have a dress code. If I have a meeting with a professor or it’s one of the days I TA, I try to dress up a little more. I know other programs have a dress code. My friend Ilyssa’s program at George Washington University, law school, and business programs typically require you to dress up.”

HC: How is your social life different from undergrad?

“What’s a social life? Just kidding! In undergrad I had a lot more free time and friends from different activities I was involved in like my sorority, reseach,being a TA, etc. Now pretty much everyone I talk to and hang out with is in my program. It’s nice though because they understand how stressed you are and you form a connection really quickly.”

HC: What do you miss about undergrad? What do you know now that would have made the transition easier?

“I miss my friends (and UF). Having a really great and genuine support system was so important to me at UF. It’s nice to know that I still have them and I have a new support system here as well. I definitely freaked myself out before starting my program. I wish I had known how quickly you make friends in grad school vs undergrad. I’m with my cohort every single day and we take all the same classes. I instantly made 3 best friends.”

Graduate school can seem intimidating, but hopefully Emily’s story can give you some insight into the transition. Start your applications with confidence — you got this!

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.