Trend Report: Yellow is The New Millennial Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Move over, millennial pink! Marigold’s taking over.

Although Pantone selected a bright plum “Ultraviolet” color as their selection for 2018, it seems like New York Fashion Week (NYFW) didn’t get the memo. Instead of spotting models in eggplant and lilac shades, bold primary colors are lighting up the runway. After binge-watching NYFW shows on YouTube, I’ve gathered that millennial pink is out, and standout shades of yellow are all the rage. Whether it reminds you of egg yolks, freshly picked marigolds or Tweety bird, yellow is the new millennial color of choice. I’ve handpicked five easy ways for you to add some sunshine to your wardrobe.

1. Flattering florals

Fashion house Alice and Olivia isn’t afraid to make a statement, and neither should you. They’ve paired this satiny mustard skirt with crimson flowers on it with a graphic tee and a denim trench.

If this look is a little too out there for you, don’t worry. I’ve selected a breezy buttercup-colored bell-sleeved top adorned with a delicate red flower print. This Old Navy top checks out at $19 and is the perfect piece to add some spice to dark denim and brown strappy sandals.

2. Fun fringe

Actress and girl boss Angela Basset wore this Naeem Khan Spring 2018 piece to the premiere of her most recent movie, Black Panther.

If the idea of showing up in canary-colored fringe scares you, I’ve got the perfect piece for you. This stunning pair of tassel earrings looks like they’ve been snipped from Angela Basset’s dress. This sunshine hue is sure to make a statement. Pro tip: Wear your hair up if you’re feeling bold or down if you’re going for a relaxed vibe. I found this pair for just under $25 at Francesca’s.

3. Modest manicure

This next trend was spotted on models walking for the Spring 2018 Chromat show. My favorite part about this manicure is that it’s the simplest and most understated of all the yellow looks I’ve seen on the runway this fashion week.

A cute nail duo I discovered at Target was this LOOK Nail Color set. This bold hue comes with a base coat to prep your nails for maximum color payoff. My favorite part – this set is 100% vegan and cruelty-free and rings up at just shy of $8.

4. Bold and beautiful

Ralph Lauren’s Spring 2018 collection was packed with primary colors, especially yellow. I grabbed inspiration from the yellow color of the dress on the left and the diagonal lines of the dress on the right.

To combine the color and asymmetry from the pieces above, I came up with this flowy frock from Target. It’s mainly constructed of linen, which will keep you cool in the upcoming sunny months. The ruffles and off-the-shoulder detail are sure to make you look sizzling no matter what season it is. You can find it for under $30 at Target.

5. Daring day-to-night

I’m absolutely in love with this outfit from design duo Rachel Mansur and Florian Gavriel. The shock-value of a ‘70s-inspired pinstriped duster coat with a mellow-yellow blouse and a pair of matching trousers struck me as completely genius. The look could be dressed down with mules and a sleek hairstyle for daytime or dressed up with loose hair and towering stilettos for nighttime.

Since I’m pretty sure most of us aren’t looking to wear head-to-toe yellow, I’ve whipped up a budget friendly alternative that’s so easy to transition from brunch to bar. For brunch: I would pair this super comfy bandeau bodysuit with a cream cardigan, denim skinnies and dainty ballet flats. For a nighttime look: I’d ditch the cardigan and swap the denim and ballet flats for a pair of daisy dukes and suede platform wedges. This bodysuit comes out to under $10 at Forever 21.

My takeaway from NYFW 2018 is that yellow demands to be seen, even if worn in the tiniest addition to an outfit. Whether it’s a pair of chandelier earrings or an updated version of a springtime manicure, these tips work for even the most color-shy. With these five easy and affordable ways to incorporate a runway-ready shade into your springtime wardrobe, you’re practically guaranteed to be the cool girl of the year.

Cayela is a junior at the University of Florida studying Journalism and costume design. She has a passion for street style, sewing and empowering others. She loves to write fun, well-researched articles with a focus on social justice. You can find her on Instagram and Twitter @cayecuev
Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.