Things People Who Don’t Watch the Bachelor Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

According to CNN, The Bachelor has more than four million social media followers, and I’ll bet you that most of that number is made up of college-age girls. But when you’re part of the minority that has no idea who Corrine is or what a two-on-one date means, life on campus can be a little different. Here are some experiences people who don’t tune in to the show can relate to.

All we know is there are roses involved

And crying, lots of crying. Occasionally I’ll catch a glimpse of a preview for the show on TV, and I mainly see the girls anxiously anticipating a rose in a candle-lit room. The rose seems to be the ticket into the next episode, and possibly the Bachelor’s heart. It seems to be a universal image of the Bachelor holding roses, but any details beyond that are not known by us non-watchers.  

It’s difficult to pretend you watch the show

It’s only a matter of time before a conversation with multiple college girls will inevitably work its way to The Bachelor.  I’ve been asked “what did you think of the last episode?”, “can you believe what so-and-so did last week in Cancun?” or my favorite “who is on your fantasy league?” Fantasy league? We’ve tried to work our way out of it with vague responses or claiming to be behind on the show, but Bachelor fans can catch a fake fan with ease. Sometimes, it’s easiest to fess up and be proud of your ignorance, but that will lead to the dreaded question…

“How can you not watch the show?”

Bachelor fans are passionate, so you’re likely to be interrogated if you don’t keep up with the show. Don’t feel bad though, I’m sure that this will not be a deal-breaker in your relationships with hard-core Bachelor devotees. Well, at least I hope not.  The Bachelor runs deep in some people.

There’s one friend who is willing to fill you in

A true friend is one who will explain to you what the shark costume meme is referring to.  Every Monday night, my friend Sarah calls me and gives me a quick run down of the highlights of the show.  I am proud to say that I know that Corrine-with-a-nanny is supposedly crazy and that the next Bachelorette is Rachel Lindsay. On behalf of my fellow non-watchers and myself, we thank these loyal friends.

The Bachelor is a huge part of the campus culture, but don’t feel bad if you don’t keep up with the show. You are not alone, my friend.  

Image Credit: abc.go.com

Courtney is a freshman majoring in History with a minor in Dance. This is her first semester writing for Her Campus UFL and she's so excited to have this opportunity! Courtney enjoys reading Jane Austen classics, traveling to new places all over the globe, and eating maybe too much Ben and Jerry's ice cream. She's a sister of Delta Nu Zeta, a service sorority on campus, and loves being able to help the community and grow as a proud member of the Gator Nation!