The Stages of Fall in Florida, as told by GIFs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Oh, Gainesville. We love you for so many things: your overpriced coffee shops, your underpriced Ladies Night specials and all of your unpredictable weather forecasts. But when everyone’s favorite pumpkin spice-flavored season rolls around, one thing we don’t love is the empty promise that is fall in Florida. Her Campus UFL has compiled a list of the different stages of fall you’ll experience here in Gainesville and why they make us want to cry into our autumn-scented candles.

For about three days in the first week of October, Gainesville remained in the cool 60s and 70s range, and we were all like….

Then, everything changed when the fire nation attacked. And by that, I mean we were ambushed by 80 degrees and humidity.

But Gainesville was like, “JK, I’ll be somewhat cool again for, like, a few more days. Maybe. But don’t expect the air to be excessively crisp.”

Now, Gainesville residents remain in limbo as the temperatures shift between almost cool, breezy and hot again. Why you do like to torture us, Gainesville?

But we know that as the weeks go on, it will slowly get cooler and cooler. And we’ll get to a point where we don’t even care if all the leaves stay the same or that pumpkins aren’t native to Florida. For a short while, it’ll actually feel like fall…

… Until “winter” rolls around, that is. Believe it or not, it actually gets chilly in Florida — like, jeggings-under-sweatpants cold.

Though some may call it “basic,” most of us can agree there’s something capitivating about fall. You can sense the change in the air when summer dreams fade and December promises await. Even though Florida offers an atypical autumn season, maybe we should appreciate fall in Gainesville for what it is: weird, wacky and all-around wonderful. 

Jenny is a public relations major/nonprofit organization leadership minor and a junior at UF. This is her first semester working with HerCampus but has two blogs and contributes to The Independent Florida Alligator. Jenny is active on campus and is devoted to Christian Campus House, NaviGators International and Interfaith Ambassadors. She likes: tea, volunteering, journaling, yoga, photography and film editing, waffles and dancing. She dislikes: procrastinating (even though she does it all the time). Follow her twitter @jschooljen or on Facebook. Also check our her blog Rogue Gainesville.