Spotlight on Chi Omega: Winners of the PACE Center for Girls Supply Drive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Congratulations to UF’s Chi Omega sorority for winning this semester’s Her Campus UFL PACE Center for Girls supply drive contest. In return for their generous donations that outnumbered the rest of the sororities on campus, Chi Omega has received $50 towards their philanthropy organization as well as some coveted Her Campus freebies!

PACE, which stands for Practical Academic Cultural Education, is a nonprofit organization that fosters a safe and nurturing environment for young girls in order to improve their educational and social development. The drive collected items such as makeup, stuffed animals, and body spray for the girls, ranging from ages 12 to 18, who are part of the program.

To honor Chi Omega for their charity in the drive, we wanted to tell you more about this sorority’s history and what makes them so incredible.

Chi Omega sorority was founded at the University of Arkansas in 1895 and has since grown to become a prominent organization with 174 collegiate chapters. With the ideals of friendship, academic excellence, and personal integrity, Chi Omega seeks women who are not only involved on campus but also in their community.

Chi O’s national philanthropy is the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. The UF chapter’s annual event to benefit Make-A-Wish is Chi Omega Sandblast, a volleyball tournament for fraternities, sororities, and independent teams. At last year’s Sandblast, the collegiettes™ of Chi O raised more than $14,000, which is enough money to grant the wishes of four lucky children.

Chi Omega’s charitable nature goes further than just their annual philanthropy. Many sisters volunteer their time to help out with organizations in Gainesville, such as the Boys and Girls Club, Meals on Wheels, and Hope Lodge.

Check out Marisa’s Campus Celeb article about Chi Omega’s Her Campus Sorority Representative, Megan Arthur, to learn more about what inspired her to get involved in our competition.

Thank you to the Chi Omega sisters and all other sororities who made this supply drive such a success!

Photo credits: 
www.pacecenter.org 
www.ufchio.blogspot.com

Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!
Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.