Small Business Owner Emily Huber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Name: Emily Huber
Age: 21
Year: senior
Major: mechanical and aerospace engineering

Her Campus: What is your business and what do you sell?
Emily Huber: Sci Chic is using science and engineering inspirations to create fashionable jewelry. Each piece of jewelry, from design to production to final product, is handmade by the two owners, Erin Winick and myself. Since we both have our own 3D printers, each piece of jewelry is currently made-to-order on the printers.”

HC: When and why did you start the business?
EH: “The business officially launched just a few weeks ago on Oct. 8 at the University of Florida Art in Engineering Event, but efforts towards launch have been ongoing for the past few months. The idea of the business came from the founder, Erin Winick, after hosting a new outreach event with young girls for the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) called 3D Printing Day. Erin and I are both engineering students at UF and have a passion for fashion. Combining our interest of science, new technologies and fashion, the concept of fashionable jewelry for STEM was created.”

HC: Does anyone else own the business with you? If so, what do they do to help out?
EH: “There are two owners of Sci Chic, Erin Winick and myself. Erin is the founder and CEO of Sci Chic. She manages most of the business and marketing plans. I am the chief technology officer. I oversee the modeling, test printing and technology involved in creating new jewelry pieces.”

HC: What has been the most rewarding thing to come from owning your own business?
EH: “The most rewarding aspect of starting my own business has been the look on people’s faces when they understand the inspiration behind each piece of jewelry, particularly the Apollo 11 Trajectory necklace. People are so excited about the science behind each thing. While at the SWE National Conference, we had many people bringing back their friends excited to share the idea of science-inspired jewelry.”

HC: What is the greatest challenge you faced in the process of starting the business?
EH: “The greatest challenge since starting our business is deciding how we will handle any large order. Since all items are made on two personal 3D printers, any larger order would cause great stress on the business.”

HC: Is it hard to manage the business while in college?
EH: “Owning a business in addition to being a full-time student has been very difficult. Both of us owners are full-time students in our senior year. I am currently a full-time student, a teaching assistant for elements of electrical engineering and the internal vice president of the Society of Women Engineers in addition to being the chief technology officer of Sci Chic. Balancing time has been the hardest aspect of owning the business thus far.”