Savvy Updates: Healthy Lifestyle Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

That first burst of fall has hit Gainesville with telltale signs of cold weather – the specialty holiday Starbucks flavors at locations all around campus. That’s right! Get out your chic boots, skinny jeans and sweaters — but while you’re at it, make sure to take care of yourself as the temperature begins to change.

This week I’m going to give you some Savvy Updates for a healthy lifestyle.

Eat breakfast. Start your day off right with a balanced meal when you get up in the morning. If you’re full, you’re more likely to conquer the day successfully and be able to concentrate on what’s on today’s to-do list.

Take a multi-vitamin. Most college students do not get enough nutrition from their diet. Taking a multi-vitamin everyday will help you to stay healthy and illness free, especially when that first case of the flu starts spreading around campus.

Enjoy the walk. Even though it’s tempting during the cold weather, try to cut back on taking other transportation methods to class. Walking allows for you to stretch your body, get some exercise and relax before that lecture hall class where you will be sitting for an long period anyway.

Don’t go to class. You read that right! If you’re sick, don’t force yourself to go to class. Although you may be missing important information, getting better should be your first priority during times of unbalance. Most of the time, teachers will understand that you were ill. Missing that set of lecture notes may even give you a chance to talk to that cute boy you usually sit next to! Can you say Library West date?

Give yourself a break. College courses can be overwhelming — especially during increased times of stress during midterms and final exams. Take a minute to relax, take a nap and wake up with a more positive attitude to accomplish everything that’s ahead of you and more! By creating a schedule and giving yourself plenty of time to finish projects and study for those exams, you will cut back on your stress and be more efficient when completing your work.

Remember these tips next time your health is in question and never be afraid to get advice from the clinic. The people who devote countless hours of time to the infirmary are there for a reason — they want to see you healthy! Follow these five tips during the end of the semester and you’re sure to give your healthy lifestyle a Savvy Update.