The Pros and Cons of Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With Thanksgiving right around the corner, it’s about time to start fasting for the big day. Turkey, mashed potatoes and your mom’s homemade pumpkin pie are all calling your name. There’s nothing better than sharing this momentous holiday with your entire extended family: aunts, uncles, cousins and those few random people you still don’t know how you’re related to. Like most things, the holidays offer some pros and cons to think about. Keep reading to see the ups and downs that are destined to come around on your turkey-filled Thanksgiving day.

Pro: the massive amounts of foodThe most obvious pro of Thanksgiving is the food. A giant turkey baked and stuffed to perfection, velvety mashed potatoes, the classic green bean casserole, warm and soft cornbread and, most importantly, the pristine pumpkin pie all compose the Thanksgiving feast that’s not only traditional, but also extremely tasty. This is the only time of year it isn’t frowned upon to have a separate plate just for your mashed potatoes.

Con: the massive food babyAs mentioned above, the amount of food you consume at this meal could easily replenish a mammoth, which is what you will feel like after devouring it all. The amount of carbs you consume in one meal is borderline lethal, but it’s so worth it. Pants will undoubtedly be unzipped to account for the new gain of body mass.

Pro: family timeHaving the opportunity to see all your extended family in one giant gathering for the holidays is a treat like no other. Being reunited with aunts, uncles and cousins galore is a great time that feels even more special when you’re in college.

Con: a little too much family timeSometimes you remember it’s a good thing that this gathering only happens once a year. Between the grandma who still thinks it’s acceptable to pinch your cheeks even though you’re almost 20, the uncle who never fails to have one too many beers and the aunt who is always way too interested in your nonexistent personal life, once a year provides more than your desired dose of family fun.

Pro: giving thanksThanksgiving is a time to give thanks. A day dedicated to thinking and reflecting on all that we have will always be a pro.

Con: the social media overloadThe endless “Happy Thanksgiving” selfies that flood every aspect of social media can be a tad overwhelming. Not only do these pictures represent nothing about the holiday, but they’re also there every time the season comes around, making them lose any sense of originality.

Pro: loads of entertainmentThanksgiving equals great entertainment. Whether your TV is playing the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade with all the dancers, bands and amazing floats or this year’s football game, there’s something the whole family can enjoy.

Con: too many leftoversA great feast ensures there is a lot of food left over. Turkey sandwiches and green bean casserole are the only things you will be eating for the next week… or two.

Regardless of the food coma and the crazy family members, Thanksgiving is a great holiday that reminds us all of how much we have to be thankful for. Have a very happy holiday, collegiettes!