Our Favorite Thanksgiving Break Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Ah, fall. There is so much excitement during this time of year, and nothing screams end-of-November like journeying back to your hometown for Thanksgiving break. Whether you get to be home for the entire week or just a few days, there is no doubt Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays of the year. There are plenty of traditions to look forward to, and Her Campus UFL wants to share a few of our favorites.

Macy’s Thanksgiving Day ParadeThere is nothing better than cuddling up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate while watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. This tradition we have all grown up with is one of the few occasions when everyone, both young and old, can let out their inner child. I mean, is there anything more exciting than a giant Hello Kitty floating above the streets of New York City? The spectacle is filled with entertainment from spirited dance performances to floats featuring our favorite characters. No matter what, we know that every year, Macy’s will continue to bring us the most epic parade of all time.  

The National Dog ShowAiring right after the parade is the National Dog Show, hosted by The Kennel Club of Philadelphia. You don’t have to be a dog lover to watch, but if you are, this is one of the best broadcasts of the year. The competition is fierce as you cheer on the breed of your own four-pawed family member, or simply the one that steals your heart. If you’re ready for an overload of cuteness, watch this program with your furry friend right by your side.   

UF vs. FSU football gameAny Gator can tell you the struggle is real when deciding whether to stay home for the rest of Thanksgiving break or go back to campus for the biggest rivalry of the season: UF vs. FSU. Whether you are in the stadium or watching from home, Seminole and Gators fans can both agree on one thing: The Saturday of Thanksgiving break is one crazy day of football. This is especially the case for houses divided, as this game means the difference between a year of gloating or a year of perpetual defeat.

The feastTurkey and stuffing and sweet potato pie, oh my! You can’t talk about Thanksgiving break without addressing the serious food coma that follows all the way into December. Everyone awaits the unparalleled meal, and it’s only a matter of time before the doorbell rings and the first guests arrive. Hors d’oeuvres are displayed to pick at, but the main rule of thumb is to pace yourself and not fill up before the first course. It’s all about portion control, collegiettes, and by the time you finish that slice of apple pie, you’ll feel like a champion. To be honest, I’m getting hungry right now just thinking about it.      

Home friendsCollege friends are the best, but home friends are forever. For some, home friends have been around since kindergarten. They’ve grown up with you and know you better than most. Thanksgiving break is the time when everyone is guaranteed to be home and you can pick up right where you left off. Reuniting with your original crew makes catching up and sharing stories from school so much fun.

Family timeThere is something about coming together with your whole family to give thanks that makes Thanksgiving more special than any other holiday. Cousins, uncles and aunts, grandparents, siblings and even pets are all there to welcome you home and ask you never-ending questions about life in college. You reassure everyone that your grades are better than ever and you’re having the time of your life, and the best part of Thanksgiving break is knowing you are surrounded by the people you love most. 

With ample amounts of decadent food, endless sales for the shopaholics out there, TV gold for the program junkies and unparalleled quality time spent with friends and family, what could be better than Thanksgiving break?

Samantha is a passionate and motivated senior in the College of Journalism and Communications at the University of Florida. In her free time she enjoys reading entertainment and fashion magazines. She is excited to move to New York City upon graduating in May of 2015. She hopes to pursue a career that is fulfilling and exciting. GO GATORS!