Old School Fashions: Channeling Your Inner Ruth Bader Ginsburg in 4 Easy Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Women’s History Month is coming to a close, so we only have a few more days to get in all our festivities until next year’s celebration of half the population. Following our Gloria Steinem outfit breakdown, this week we’re turning to the Supreme Court for our fashion advice.

Although it could be argued that all of the Supreme Court justices are the leading fashion figures of our nation, one in particular sticks out. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has been bringing her style to the capital since 1980 when she was appointed to the U.S. Court of Appeals by Jimmy Carter. In 1993 she began her tenure on the Supreme Court, and she’s now the oldest serving judge and the first ever to be nicknamed after Biggie. Known for rocking statement earrings, advocating for women’s rights as the director of the Women’s Rights Project of the American Civil Liberties Union, and making bold, blunt dissents, RBG is this week’s outfit inspiration.

Black Cardigan on White Button-DownThese basics will get you through any season or decade for that matter. Together they’re academic, professional and make everyone wonder how ripped you are underneath.

Giant EarringsA classic RBG go-to: distract them with the size of your earrings and then tell them why they’re wrong in a six-page dissent. This also works as a good way of sprucing up your all-black judge’s gown or any simple outfit.

Pointed-Toe FlatsComfortable and more practical than heels, pointed flats let you do your thing on the highest court in the land for 22 years while being edgy enough to scare off your enemies.

GlassesThe constitution’s not going to read itself. Put on the glasses you’re too embarrassed to wear outside of class for once and look for all the fine print that’s trying to usurp the rights of the American people.

Once the nuances of the Ruth Bader Ginsburg outfit are mastered, you’ll be set for life. Simple, bold and founded in a half century of serving the law, these four steps might help you graduate first in your class from Columbia, or at least give you a quick outfit option when you’re running late in the morning.

Photo credit: washingtonpost.com