Junior Year: Why Being ‘Old and Irrelevant’ Is Totally Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It is a common phrase among UF students that once you get to junior year, you become “old and irrelevant.” I think this is mainly due to the fact that underclassmen, while taking general education and introductory classes, are more likely to go out frequently and generally are the most “in the know” in terms of the Gainesville social scene. While this is true to a degree, I feel that junior year is an exciting time in a person’s college career that should be cherished for all that it can bring. From finally getting into classes for your major, to moving into an apartment, and overall, growing up, I think us juniors should band together to change this year’s mentality from wishing you could be younger to celebrating this new stage and all of the positive that comes with it!

Academically, an exciting part of junior year is that you finally get into the classes for your major. Woohoo you got past “What is The Good Life” and “Discover the Universe,” and now you’re in the classes you actually want to be in! As a marketing major with a retail minor, I am so thrilled to be in classes, such as “Intro to Retail Systems,” which actually teach me knowledge that will be applicable to my future career. It’s much easier to pay attention and enjoy your classes when you know there is a real purpose and reason for learning what you’re being taught. Another perk that many students find with junior year is getting their first apartment.

For me, sophomore year wasn’t the easiest time. I lived in my sorority house and I struggled to balance school and social life along with finding the alone time that I needed to have some peace of mind. So maybe a little more than most people, I was ecstatic when I signed my first apartment lease and knew that soon enough I would have a room and bathroom to call my own. Now, I finally have my own space which is decorated exactly how I want, a place where I can productively do work, a place where I can listen to my music, and a place where I am truly free to be me. I love my room so much and am so glad to finally have this place, my happy place.

Finally, an exciting part about junior year is that you’re starting to get serious. While it is sad to come to the realization that the real world not too far ahead isn’t all frat parties and late-night pizza, it’s exciting too! While getting serious certainly does come with a decent amount of stress, it’s fun to start mapping out your future and taking the steps to get there. For me, I’ve decided that I want to live in New York City and work for a retail company at the corporate level. I have begun my hunt for the perfect internship, I have started joining organizations on campus, and I have gotten a mentor to guide me through this unknown territory. I know it won’t be easy, but I am determined and starting to get pumped about my life beyond college.

So, next time your friend is moping around about being “old and irrelevant”, think of the points I’ve just made and tell her why she’s wrong. Besides the perks of being a junior, you really are only as “old and irrelevant” as you want to be. If you still want to go to midtown on a weekday (trust me, you’ll still catch me out on Ladies Night), be super involved in your sorority, or make reckless decisions like a freshman, you go girl! Nothing is stopping you. But, if you want to just relax and have a wine night with friends or get ahead on your school work, that’s just as great.

I have a feeling that junior year is going to be my peak, with just the right balance of school, career planning, and social life, and if you do it right, junior year (or for that matter any year) can be yours too. I wish everyone a successful and happy semester!

Photos courtesy of the author, Lauren White.

Just a Soflo girl who loves Chipotle and dreams of life in The Big Apple