James Torrez ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

This week’s Campus Cutie is sure to win your heart on and off the air. He’s smart, charismatic, and will make you want to watch the 5 o’clock news. Meet WUFT’s very own James Torrez!

James is a senior studying telecommunication with a concentration in news. He’s 21 and from West Palm Beach, Florida. He is currently the anchor for the 5 o’clock news for UF’s news station, WUFT. James is also involved other ways on campus. He’s an ambassador for the College of Journalism and Communications and a member of the National Broadcasting Society. When asked where he likes to hang out on campus, James said, “Weimer. It’s not much of a choice.” James has been recognized for his journalistic endeavors, and he even qualified for the National Hearst Journalism Awards finals.

In his spare time, James loves to binge watch House of Cards on Netflix. He also said he would hands down pick Tina Fey over Amy Poehler. “She created Amy Poehler!” he said. His favorite place to get a bite to eat around town is Mother’s Pub and Grill. He loves Halloween, mainly because it’s two days after his birthday. The most beautiful place he’s ever been is Florence, Italy, and one place he’d love to visit is New York City.

This Campus Cutie is currently taken — sorry ladies! James says he looks for athleticism in people he wants to date. He also said the most romantic thing he’s ever done was cook for someone.

James hopes to get a job at a local television station or a state public radio station after graduation this coming May. “News is the plan, we’ll just have to see where!” he said. His dream is to eventually be a producer or reporter for CBS.  For now, everyone can check out this week’s Campus Cutie reporting live from WUFT at 5 o’clock!

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.