Intern Isa: Your Internship Questions, Answered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

I am now officially a month into my internship with NBC in New York City, and I still pinch myself before I walk into work every morning. Lots of you have sent me your questions regarding different topics — such as how to make your resume stand out, what I wear everyday, and just about everything in between. What I’m about to share isn’t necessarily the recipe for success, but I’m sharing a few tips I hope you can take away to find your dream gig. Here are your questions, answered!

What are your best tips for standing out?

This is something I always struggled with when I first started applying to internships. I always thought about what I had to say or put on the resume that would impress an employer, but that was just the wrong mentality. Yes, impressing your employer is the whole point of submitting a resume and cover letter. However, it’s all about what you get involved with and the experiences you can take away from it that is key.

Once you’ve already sent your resume, it really just depends on the company you’re applying for. If it’s a small company and you have a contact, follow-up. If it’s a large company, you just gotta wait! Creating something original that can set you apart is also important. I combined my passions for fashion and entertainment into a blog, Call Me Isa.

How did you land your dream internship/such a high-demand one?

Interning for NBC Entertainment has been something I’ve wanted for a very long time. I always laugh a little bit when people ask me this question because quite frankly I have no idea how I got this opportunity. The only thing I can tell you is that determination and perseverance goes a long way. It wasn’t easy. I knew no one in the industry, and I felt like I wasn’t good enough compared to the thousands of applicants that they get. But what I always tried to remember is that there’s only one Isa Perez, and no one could take that away from me. You have no idea what you’re capable of.   

After being bummed about not getting the internship the first time, how did you gain the confidence to try it again?

I applied to intern at NBC for tons of different positions 3 times. Freshman year, I barely had experience, so I heard absolutely nothing back. Sophomore year, I had gotten involved with more things, so I was asked to submit a video interview and never heard back. Junior year, I had gotten involved with as much as I could possibly handle, and that is when they took a chance on me. I feel like when you want something so badly, you don’t just give up that easy.

I’d be lying if I said that I was the most confident person. I’m not. But my best friend always kept me on my feet. If I even told her that I wasn’t worthy of the opportunity, she wouldn’t give up until she convinced me I was. A week after I told her that it had been over a month since I had applied, I got the interview. Now look where I am. What would I be doing if I had given up the second time?

What’s a day in the life for you?

Let me tell you, the city is not all glitz and glamour. My room is a shoebox, I cook for myself and I have to walk 20 blocks to work every day. My internship makes it all worth it though. I work full-time, and my official title is Digital Entertainment Intern for Late Night Platforms. So basically anything you see on mainly the Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon page is probably because I made it. Other internship details are not to be disclosed per policy rules. Sorry!

How do you keep yourself from becoming lonely in a new city?

You can’t! It’s just part of the process. There will definitely be more lonely times than not, and you just have to be okay with that. However, that doesn’t mean to stay in bed all day. Research what there is to do around you and don’t be afraid to go explore on your own!

How did you overcome nerves during your first weeks on the job?

The night before my first day was horrible. I was so concentrated on getting a good night’s sleep that I actually ended up getting no sleep at all. The environment is so great here that overtime I’ve felt like I was actually a part of the team. Believing in your potential and the people around me has made all the difference.

What do you wear?

This question varies from job to job. In the entertainment industry, style is more relaxed and trendy. I tend to go for a combination of both. Some days I’ll wear slacks with a nice blouse, and other days I’ll wear jeans with a flowy top and booties. I’ll do a lookbook for you soon!

How did you start the process of finding an internship? What was the process like?

First off, there is no such thing as applying for too many internships. I apply to at least 20 to 25 each semester and I applied to 30 this time around. I basically just think of some of my dream companies and positions and just Google away. Most companies have application portals which makes it really easy to apply. The process itself is very stop and go. You’ll hear back from some companies, and some won’t say anything at all. It’s just a waiting game really.

How do you know this is the path you truly want to pursue?

As cliche as this may sound, I always knew I wanted to work in television. I have videos of when I was a little girl pretending to be the weather woman on the TV. I’m still juggling with the exact job I’d love to have, but nothing excites me more than entertainment. I believe in “Do what you love, love what you do,” so that is how I know that this is what I want to go for.

How has your internship strengthened where you see yourself career wise?

In just the one month I’ve been here I have learned so much more than I could’ve imagined. I can’t wait for what’s to come! Stay tuned!

Have any more questions? Leave them in the comments below, and I’ll be sure to address them in future posts!