Intern Isa: Workplace Lookbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Don’t you miss the days where you had some kind of uniform to determine what you’d wear every day? As much as I love fashion, picking what to wear can be quite the daunting task, especially once it feels like you’ve worn the same thing a million times. When it comes to what to wear to work, picking an appropriate outfit can be even harder. Here’s a little look into what I wear in the workplace!

Business Professional

If you think business professional means wearing boring colors and slacks, think again. Business professional can include colors, prints and patterns. What you have to keep in mind is style and silhouette. Stay away from tight and revealing clothing, and you’re in the clear. Beware of see-through materials. In warmer months, I usually wear a blouse with a skirt. For colder months, I’ll add a blazer and tights.

Since I’m commuting to work, I always like to keep the comfort of my feet  in mind. You can never go wrong with a pair of flats or booties, just make sure that they’re close-toed. Another go-to of mine is a blouse with slacks. Keep it fun by making sure there’s color in either your blouse or your bottoms. Mix and match blouses, blazers, jeans, skirts and slacks until you run out of every combination possible!

Trendy

Another thing to consider when deciding what to wear to work is the office atmosphere. By doing this, you’re able to figure out what others around you would find acceptable work attire. On my first day, I went in a blouse, slacks and flats — not too overdressed, and not too underdressed. After seeing what everyone else wore, I started to see that trendy and personal style was accepted at my workplace. You can basically wear anything you want, but some business professional rules apply: stay away from tight and revealing clothing.

The temperatures have been dropping in New York City, so layers have been my best friend. My first layer begins with breathable thermals, followed by jeans and a sweater and finished with a coat and scarf. The coat and scarf keep you protected from the outside air, but the sweater and thermal is what’s perfect for being indoors. 

Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to figure out your next work outfit because the possibilities are endless!

Click here for more Intern Isa posts.

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.