This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

My friends all know me as the Pinterest queen and I love YouTubers and fashion blogs and follow all of these fashionistas on Instagram, too, yet I can’t tell you the last time I went to a fashion show–or if I’ve even been to one. Maybe this is because I grew up in a small town, or maybe it’s because Instagram and all of our other social media apps have become the new “fashion show.” Think about it: would you be willing to pay money to sit through an hour long show of someone MCing as “normal” girls walked down a runway and modeled H&M and Forever 21? Not only has our generation’s attention span extremely decreased, but we also have grown to appreciate and expect the high quality of editing, beautiful backgrounds and links to pieces.

Personally, I love Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration. Rarely do I shop in one place for all the pieces and I usually will already have similar things that can now have a new purpose. For a fashion show, a lot of the pieces are going to be new and only from one brand, which doesn’t give me any room for inspiration and if I don’t like the outfit, it may be hard to just focus on the pieces I like, especially as the models just quickly walk up and down the runway.

Our generation has also grown to enjoy the fast pace quality that the internet allows for, which means you see something you like, you buy it right then and there. You don’t have to wait to go to the store and find the item. Just click the link, order, pay and ship. This way allows you to choose pieces, see things up close, get other people’s opinions and branch out to different brands.  You may even find a new one you’ve never heard of.

“I follow a ton of fashion and beauty bloggers on platforms like YouTube and Instagram,” said Brianna Sachs, a public relations student interested in fashion. “I look at their pictures, and it allows me to get a good sense of what’s in style and any new trends. It’s like getting to watch a fashion show straight from our phones and computers!”

However, Sachs said when she worked backstage of a fashion show in New York City, she found it incredible to see all of the details come together. She also said she enjoys fashion shows because it allows designers to showcase their up-and-coming trends for the season. So maybe fashion shows aren’t completely extinct. Maybe it’s just the local fashion shows that have become obsolete to our generation; no more local boutiques coming together to plan a casual, down-to-earth show with a cheesy MC and unprofessional models.

Another thing that I think we have all grown to love in the “online fashion world” is the amazing shots, edits and backgrounds. Think about how much more you really want an outfit when you see it on someone who’s like a girlfriend posing in the gorgeous beachside of Greece or mountains of Spain. Then you add in all the fancy drone shots and close-ups and we’re practically drooling. This way of viewing outfits can be much more effective to play into our emotional side.

Either way, in-person or online, remember it’s always good to check out other brands and keep an open mind because some trends may seem really out there before you all of a sudden see it everywhere. And of course, always be open for inspiration- whether that comes from Instagram or Pinterest, a fashion show or just a friend’s closet. Remember how lucky our generation is to have fashion inspiration everywhere, ready for us to view and buy at our fingertips.

Photo credits: unsplash.com

Maxine Grossman is a second-year Public Relations major with a concentration in business at the University of Florida and is so excited for the opportunity to do what she does best for Her Campus UFL: write about fashion. When Maxine is not staring at Pinterest fashion boards or wandering around shopping, she can be caught eating sushi, devouring cups of coffee and tea, or munching on some delicious macarons. Besides writing for Her Campus UFL, Maxine is also an active member of UF’s Panhellenic life and enjoys spending time with friends, traveling, and painting.