If Your Group of Friends Were Fonts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

If life were a word processing document, which font would you be?

A typeface is more than just a Microsoft Word formatting option; I like to think each font has its own personality. Are you a serif font – timeless, poignant and sophisticated – or are you more of a sans serif typeface – minimalistic, edgy and modern? Maybe this is kind of a stretch, but what if fonts had their own social groups? Wingdings and Dingbats would definitely be freshman year roommates. Helvetica and Arial would be arch-enemies. Bradley Hand and Marker Felt would probably be future bridesmaids.

What would the world look like if your group of friends was made up of fonts?

1. Comic Sans: The kid at heart

We all have that friend who does inappropriate things at inappropriate times but claims he or she is just “young, wild and free.” With its whimsical-yet-borderline-juvenile design, there is a time and place for Comic Sans (such as a children’s birthday party invitation). However, we can all use one of these friends in our life, as they know when and how to bring the fun and lighten the mood.

2. Broadway: The overdramatic friend

Broadway is the friend who turns every minor mishap into an Earth-shattering crisis and may or may not live life as if he or she were the star of a ‘90s soap opera. This is the friend who pretends they are in a sappy music video when a sad song comes on in the car (although I think we have all done this at some point). Nonetheless, we love this person, as they are empathetic and make every situation a bit more lively (and they always down for a good vent session).

3. Herculanum: The granola friend

This friend is the token yogi, all-natural, organic, 100 percent cage-free, sulfate- free guy or gal of the group. Herculanum is known among its fellow typefaces as being the wise, all-knowing font of the crew – much like the granola friend, who embraces and embodies the “good vibes” aura and brings a sense of zen to any situation. Namaste.

4. Courier New: The hipster

We all know a Courier New – the chic friend who is cultured and effortlessly cool (and knows it, too). Courier New is anything but mainstream. Just like the font’s typewriter style that is reminiscent of the past, this friend radiates all things refined and artistic.

5. Pistilli: The sophisticated, strong friend

Pistilli is the friend whose bold, timeless style is hard to ignore. Just like the font’s simplistic yet stylish aesthetic, this is the friend who is never afraid to make a statement. Pistilli holds everyone together with confidence and a clear sense of self. Just like every word processing document relies on this typeface to bring just the right amount of flair and personality, every friend group needs a Pistilli – someone who is reliable, radiant and strong.

So, which font are you? No matter your typography preferences, I think we can find something funny, artistic and interesting about each typeface. (And, if all else fails – let’s just all remember to avoid using Papyrus and Comic Sans at all cost).

Image Credit: 

Cover image from karolinschnoor.co.uk/illustration

Apple font images from Font Book

Darcy Schild is a University of Florida junior majoring in journalism. She's the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UFL and was previously a Her Campus national section editor. She spent Summer 2017 as an Editorial Intern at HC headquarters in Boston, where she oversaw the "How She Got There" section and wrote and edited feature articles and news blogs. She also helped create the weekly Her Campus Instagram Story series, Informed AF. Follow her on Twitter and on her blog, The Darcy Diaries.