gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
gaelle marcel S6hz7Y1FCTs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

I Picked Out My Boyfriend’s Clothes For a Week and This Is What He Thought

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

My boyfriend’s weekday look is pretty standard: a T-shirt, shorts, one of two pairs of shoes and his typical hat (one of three). I’m not bummed out by his fashion sense at all because he does have a pretty nice wardrobe and when he’s not just going to class, he usually dresses really well. But, understandably, just going to class usually means the standard T-shirt-shorts-hat combo for him. So this week, I decided to mix it up and dress him every day, just to take full advantage of his wardrobe and all his nice patterned shirts — and there are a whole lot of them.

Day 1
The Look: Light Hawaiian shirt, grey shorts, tropical Vans

• My Thoughts: I like this look a lot because it’s definitely a step up from the usual T-shirt. The color is good on him.
  • His Thoughts: “I like the breathability of this shirt. This is a step up from what I’d wear to class normally, but it still fits with my regular style. I would add my hat.”
  • Would he wear it again?  “Yes.”

Day 2
The Look: Dark blue button-down shirt over a grey and white striped tank, grey shorts, tropical Vans

• My Thoughts: The Vans were the only shoes he was willing to wear for this experience that weren’t this obnoxiously orange pair of flip-flops, so I had to make do. I enjoyed this look a lot. I like layers on guys.
  • His Thoughts: “I look and feel like a hungover sailor. I wish I had a hat.”
  • Would he wear it again? “Eh… probably.”

Day 3
The Look: Light flannel over a grey shirt, blue shorts, same pair of shoes…

• My Thoughts: I called this look “Lumberjack Camp Counselor.” I don’t think he was amused.
  • His Thoughts: “Normally I wouldn’t wear the long-sleeved shirt with shorts… that’s kind of a weird thing for me to do. I miss my hats.”
  • Would he wear it again? “Minus the long-sleeved shirt, I would.”

Day 4
The Look: Cerulean button-down, grey cut-offs, guess which shoes

• My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. He looks good in this color and the whole outfit matched (except for the shoes, I guess). He also liked it, which was definitely a pro.
  • His Thoughts: “I like this one. I really like this shirt. It’s a good shirt, a comfortable shirt. I still miss the hat though.”
  • Would he wear it again? “Yeah! Definitely!”

Day 5
The Look: Light green Hawaiian shirt, light blue shorts, he forgot to wear the Vans, so it’s the pair of obnoxious orange flip-flops, which I cut out of the picture

• My Thoughts: Pretty similar to Day 1, so I knew he’d be okay with it.
  • His Thoughts: “This shirt is very comfortable. I prefer flip-flops.”
  • Would he wear it again? “Yeah.”

Day 6
The Look: Pink tribal shirt, light blue shorts, wow the Vans are back

• My Thoughts: This one was a little daring. I wasn’t sure if it’d look good (and frankly, I was surprised he owned that shirt), but I think the color looks really good on him.
  • His Thoughts: “This is the most diverse look. A lot of people looked me up and down weird.”
  • Would he wear it again? “Probably.”

Afterthoughts: “It was all a little more than I’d normally wear to class, but since it was from my own closet, it was still my style. My favorite look was probably the first day because I love that shirt and Hawaiian shirts are just great for hot weather. Get yourself one. I want the people to know that I usually wear hats so I felt very strange not wearing one this whole week.”

Personally, I enjoyed this week of spruced-up outfits and hope that this will inspire him to keep up the appearance. I don’t even mind that the hats will be coming back.

Petrana Radulovic is a senior studying English and Computer Science. She hopes to be a writer someday and live in the Pacific Northwest, where she will undoubtedly divide her time between sipping coffee at a local café and sipping coffee in her living room, working on her latest story. She enjoys singing when she thinks she’s the only person at home, obsessively watching America’s Next Top Model, and wearing all black no matter what the weather. In her future, she sees many cats and many books and many mugs. She is currently the Senior Editor for HerCampus UFL, but writes the occasional article because she can't help herself. This is her sixth semester with HerCampus.
Victoria is a junior journalism major at the University of Florida. As a writer for Her Campus, she enjoyed writing about fashion and giving advice to readers. She is currently a senior editor of Her Campus UFL and is in training to become the chapter's next Campus Correspondent. Outside of class and Her Campus, you can find Victoria scoping out cute boys with friends, longboarding around campus, or hanging out with her Alpha Omicron Pi sisters. She enjoys traveling to new cities, spending time outside, drinking toffee nut iced coffees, shopping, trying new types of food and working for Her Campus!