I Gave up Coffee for a Week and Here’s What Happened

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Since my senior year of high school, I have never gone a morning without drinking coffee. My day simply doesn’t feel complete if I don’t have a warm cup of joe when I wake up. Even if I’m late for class, I still have to make sure I have a cup of coffee. My boyfriend always tells me I’m addicted, but I always say I’m not. I just like drinking it. But sometimes I do feel like I need coffee a little too much, so I decided to see if I could actually go a week without it. I wanted to challenge myself. I also decided to give up caffeinated tea and energy drinks, too.

Normally, I would break down my coffee hiatus by days, detailing what I felt on each day. However, if I’m being honest, the days just muddled together. Nothing terribly significant happened on one particular day. I did, however, experience symptoms and realizations over the course of the week.

One of the things I felt most during the week was drowsiness.
I consistently felt a little more tired than usual. With this drowsiness came a sense of calmness. I didn’t feel as high-strung as I normally do. This was both a pro and a con to being coffee-free. I was definitely more tired, but it also felt nice to not be jumping-off-the-walls hyper.

I noticed that my headaches went away.
For a while now I’ve been experiencing mild headaches around 4 p.m. I never knew exactly what caused them. They sometimes make it difficult for me to feel motivated to do little things like working out or driving somewhere. This week, however, I noticed I didn’t really have any headaches. I thought that this was strange, as I know most people get headaches when they give up coffee. I actually felt more clear headed without the caffeine every morning.

I couldn’t focus as well.
Coffee gives me a boost in the morning to kick-start my day. After drinking it, I feel like I can focus on my schoolwork. This week, however, I felt sort of off. I wasn’t as focused. When I would study with friends, I would just talk to them instead of doing work. Although this sometimes happens when I do drink coffee, I noticed it much more this week.

I felt kind of free without coffee.
As I stated earlier, I would structure my mornings around having a nice cup of coffee. Not having to worry about brewing coffee if I was running late was honestly refreshing. Of course I missed that part of my morning routine, but it was freeing to not have to worry about it.

On the other hand, I also felt a little trapped.
If I wanted to go to breakfast with my friends, I couldn’t drink coffee with them. I couldn’t warm up with a nice cup of coffee or black tea. If I had time before class, I couldn’t just take a Starbucks break like I normally would. If I got a bad night’s sleep and needed a pick-me-up, I couldn’t drink it. Honestly, I felt like I was looking at a party from the outside in.

One week later, I can definitely say giving up coffee was challenging. My morning routine felt completely off. I had to fight the urge to walk into a Starbucks. The smell of coffee made me internally sob.

Will I be giving up coffee for good? Definitely not. I enjoy drinking it way too much for that, but I definitely will be cutting back, though. I learned during this week that I do not actually need coffee to get me through every single day. If I’m running late for class or wake up late one day, I don’t need to drink it to pry myself out of bed. The world won’t end if I don’t have my morning cup. This past week was definitely difficult, but I’m glad I did it. I learned how coffee affects me – both negatively and positively. I also learned a lot about myself, especially that if I truly want to stick with something, I can.

Photo Credit: studysexcoffee.tumblr.com

Kelly is a sophomore studying telecommunications and English at UF. She is the Campus Cutie writer and couldn't be more excited for her first semester on the Her Campus UFL team! Kelly is an avid traveler, coffee lover, and Netflix junkie. She is also a member of Delta Zeta and a dual citizen of Canada and the United States. Kelly spent her summer at WWSB ABC 7 as a digital media intern. She hopes to one day produce and write for television in a city like New York or Toronto.