How To Get The Most Out Of Your Student Discount

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Autumn is approaching, which means it’s time to start stocking up on fall fashion essentials. But money is tight after purchasing all those “required” textbooks. Just because funds are low doesn’t mean your closet has to suffer. Many high-end fashion retailers offer student discounts to ensure students can stay fashionable on any budget. Not only can you save on fashion by flashing your Gator 1 Card, but you can also save by using your ID to save on entertainment, food and electronics.

In order to help you get the most out of your student discount, we’ve has compiled a list of companies that offer discounts to students as well as tips on how you can rack up the highest amount of savings with your student ID.

Fashion

1. Ann Taylor: Receive 15 percent off their purchase with their Gator 1 Card at any Ann Taylor or LOFT store. 2. Banana Republic: If you’re looking to stock up on some professional clothing pieces, Banana Republic is the place to go. When checking out, make sure to flash your ID for 15 percent off your purchase. 3. Goodwill: Looking to gain the most bang for their buck? Head to your local Goodwill on Tuesdays, so you can get 20 percent off already low-priced items. 4. J.Crew: If you are in need of classic pieces for your wardrobe, look no further than J.Crew. At both J.Crew and its factory stores, students can save 15 percent with a valid college ID. 5. The Limited: The Limited can provide quality feminine pieces for 15 percent off the ticketed price. 6. Madewell: If you’re still in search for the perfect pair of fall boots, then you’re in luck because Madewell gives college students 15 percent off. 7. Vineyard Vines: Known for its timeless preppy attire, Vineyard Vines is the go-to shop for college students. You’ll get 15 percent off when you show your college ID at checkout.

Entertainment 

1. Regal Gainesville Cinema Stadium 14: Nowadays, it seems like it costs a small fortune to go to the movies. But luckily for you, the movie theater on Southwest 35th Boulevard offer student ticket prices when you show your Gator 1 Card. 2. Regal Royal Park Stadium 16: If you want to have a girls night without breaking the bank, head over to the movie theatre on Newberry Road. You will receive student-priced tickets when you show a valid student ID.3. Hippodrome State Theatre: Looking to try something new this weekend? Head over to the state theatre where you’ll receive discounted tickets on plays.

Food

1. Gator Dominos: UF students can sign up for promotional alerts from Gator Dominos to receive special deals on pizza.

Electronics/Miscellaneous

1. Apple: Students can receive various discounts on iPads and Macs when they present their Gator 1 Card at an Apple store or provide their ufl.edu address online. 2. Amazon Prime: By entering your ufl.edu email on Amazon Prime, UF students can receive two-day shipping on Amazon products. 3. Microsoft: College students can save on Microsoft software, PCs, surface and more when signing in as a student on its website. 4. New Scooters 4 Less: If you have been thinking about purchasing a scooter to get around Gainesville efficiently, you may be wary about breaking the bank. Check out New Scooters 4 Less because it offers UF students $50 off their scooter purchases.

Save even more with your student discount in three easy steps:

1. Sign up for emails: Many retailers send out emails about secret sales and special deals going on. Some stores allow you to combine your student discount with sales to allow you to rack up the savings. Plus, stores like Kate Spade and Steve Madden send out a coupon just for joining their lists.

2. Find out what day markdowns happen: If you can find out when stores are going to move items to the sale rack, you can plan to do your shopping that day. This allows you to get first dibs on the markdowns and to earn extra savings.

3. Check your receipt for surveys: In order to get feedback on customer service many retailers give you the opportunity to complete a survey after your purchase. If you take the time to complete the survey you are usually rewarded with a coupon code to use the next time you visit. Combine this discount with your student discount, and you’ll end up saving more than you spend.

During your time in college, your Gator 1 Card will become your ultimate moneysaver. If you’re ever unsure if a store offers a student discount, just ask. You might be surprised by how many places are willing to support college students by giving discounts. After all, you are a hard-working college student who deserves to be rewarded with savings. Bask in the glory of student discounts now because once you graduate, you’ll have to wait until you’re a senior citizen to be given so many generous discounts. Happy savings, Gators!

Photo Credits: www.trainbellresort.com

Morgan is a public relations freshman at the University of Florida and is a new addition to the Her Campus UFL team. She recently moved to Gainesville from the small city of Deltona, Florida in order to embark on a new journey in her life. She is best described as a motivated individual who does everything to the best of her ability and likes to look good while doing it. Morgan is passionate about fashion, online shopping, and mint chocolate chip ice cream. In her free time she enjoys retail therapy, catching up with her friends and family, spending time outside, and cheering on the Florida Gators.