danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Find a Job When Everyone Else is Looking Too

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

With the start of every semester comes a new beginning. It’s also a time when you realize you might need a new job. Restaurants and retail stores get incredibly busy once students come back to town, and “Hiring” signs go up on storefronts. While you might think there’s no reason to worry, those spots fill up fast. Here are some tips to help you land the job of your dreams this semester.

1. Visit stores you like.Sure, you’ll be getting paid, but it’s better to get paid while enjoying where you’re working. Ever feel like you spend too much time at Forever 21? You should see if they’re hiring. Most stores will say they always accept applications, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they are hiring. Don’t let that discourage you; look at the UF calendar and ask yourself what the major holidays are that people leave town. Those might be the time periods that most places will begin to have empty spots on their employee rosters.

2. Call back.Employers can quickly forget who you are if you’re don’t call to check the status of your application. Call the business back at intervals: on a Monday, on a Wednesday or Thursday and the weekends. Make sure you’re speaking directly to the manager and remind them of who you are. Not only will you show them that you’re interested in the position, but you’ll also stand out among the other applicants who are after the same job.

3. Pay a visit.Calling is fine, but it won’t make them remember a face. Visiting the places you’ve applied to will get them to remember you. However, don’t visit every day. A few times a week is more than enough and, if you call in addition to visiting, it’ll make you stand out to potential employers as someone who is serious about landing the job. But, when you do go in, don’t forget that you are representing yourself. Dress nicely and make sure you’re not wearing anything that would make them or others around you uncomfortable. You’re vying for a job, which means you should dress like a professional.

4. Answer the call.If you get a get a call from a place that’s hiring, take the call and don’t let it go to voicemail. On the other hand, if you do happen to miss it, make sure to call back immediately and set up an interview time with the manager. Nothing says “I’m not interested” like ignoring a message left by a potential employer.

5. Be professional.If you receive a call to interview, don’t think you have the job in the bag. An interview simply means that managers are interested in talking to you in person before they continue with your application. To make a great impression, dress professionally (business casual is fine if applying for a job at a restaurant or store) and bring a resume. Practice your responses for questions like “Why do you want to work here?” or “What can you bring to this job?” so you don’t stumble over your words or take long pauses thinking about a response. Be confident and you’ll have a killer interview!

Keep in mind that everyone is job hunting just like you. Don’t assume that you’re the only one who knows that H&M is hiring because that’s highly unlikely. Instead, keep up with your application process, make the right calls, and be consistent. Don’t give up because the more you make yourself visible to a hiring manager, the higher the chance they’ll see your interest in the position. Best of luck!

Photo credit:www.i2.cdn.turner.com

Alexia Fernandez is a senior at the University of Florida. A journalism major, she has been interested in films, books and pop culture since she can remember. An avid film buff, she hopes to one day write screenplays, make films and tell stories through as many mediums as possible.