Gelato & Avventura: Breaking Barriers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We can all agree that studying abroad is a huge leap out of the bubble that defines our comfort zone. It involves new countries, new people, new everything — scary, right? Whether this can be seen as a blessing or a curse, but I can adapt to anything pretty quickly. I already see the Roman dorms as my home, and I love to indulge in the American atmosphere after a long day of trying to defend myself with my elementary-level Italian. I already walk the nearby streets with confidence and have found my favorite breakfast bar, as well as a certain lunch spot that I frequent at least three times a week.

This means only one thing — simply studying abroad is not enough for me; I have to constantly strive to break the barriers of my comfort zone. In turn, here are two of my favorite break-the-zone adventures that I have had in the past two weeks:

1. I took my first (mini) solo trip and mastered the Roman Metro system (it is only two lines, but still). A friend from UF introduced me to his Italian friend, Miri. Miri and I agreed to meet at Termini, the central train station in Rome. This meant riding the Metro and figuring out how to get to Termini all by myself — I had traveled on the metro before but had never done it solo. It was raining, a bit cramped, and I had to ask for directions at least once, but I finally made it to our meeting spot. I even used my nifty Italian cellphone to call her. We met up, and the rest is history. She is an amazing friend, and we had such a great day! She showed me around the EUR district of Rome, we went shopping, and we had a delicious lunch. She even showed me her home and her school! I was so happy she was so open with me. She later directed me how to get back home on the metro, and I felt completely Italian. Si!

2. I taught English to a classroom full of perfect little Italians. The school offers a volunteer opportunity where you can go to a nearby elementary school and teach English for an hour. Although I was nervous at first, I decided to sign up for it. First, I had the challenge of finding the school by myself and then finding the teacher who I was supposed to help. When I finally reached my classroom, I was taken aback to find out that the actual teacher wasn’t there, and, instead, it was a substitute teacher — a substitute who barely spoke English. Uh-oh. Not only was it hard to communicate, but she had no idea what I was supposed to be doing, so it was all up to me to come up with a lesson plan on the spot. As I stood in front of the class with all of the little eager faces staring back at me, I felt myself getting more and more nervous, but I just grabbed the chalk and went for it. With the help of my Italian lessons and tons of hand gestures, we were able to have a successful lesson, and we even played Simon Says afterwards. Spending the afternoon with them was absolutely priceless. Italian bambini are the most perfect creatures in this world, and I was so happy they liked me. They kept getting closer and speaking rapid Italian and hugging me, and all I could do was smile like an idiot. I even got lost on the way back, but I could not stop smiling.

My adventures aren’t going to stop any time soon, so check back next time for more stories — hopefully I’ll master the Metro by then!

Cara oversees Her Campus Media's community department and serves as strategic lead for the expansion, development and management of all HCM communities, including the Her Campus Chapter Network, InfluenceHer Collective, College Fashionista, Spoon University, Campus Trendsetters, alumni and high school. She works closely with company leadership to develop new community-related sales offerings and the Integrated Marketing team to support all community-focused client marketing programs from end to end. Cara has experience working with high-profile talent, such as Jessica Alba, Andrew Yang, Amber Tamblyn, Aja Naomi King, Troian Bellisario, Jessica Marie Garcia, Nico Tortorella, Nastia Liukin, Rebecca Minkoff, Cecile Richards and Samantha Power, as well as brands like Coca-Cola, L'Oréal Paris, The New York Times, HBO, Uber, H&M and more. Having been a part of the HC family since 2011, Cara served as Campus Correspondent of the HC chapter at the University of Florida where she studied journalism, women’s studies and leadership. A New Yorker turned Floridian, Cara has a Friends quote for any situation. You can usually find her with her friends and family at the beach, a concert or live sports event or binge-watching Grey's Anatomy or Sons of Anarchy. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter @thecararose.