Gator Glam: Your Rainy-Day Wardrobe Essentials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, and I’m not talking about Christmas season. To put it more precisely, it’s hurricane season! While the rain may provide a short refuge from Florida’s extraordinary heat, getting wet while walking to class can get old fast. Here are some items you should always have so that even at a moment’s notice, no bad weather will ever rain on your parade:

1. Umbrella

When it starts raining, the first thing you’ll want to grab is your umbrella. If you’re heading to class, you’ll most likely need a small and compact one that will fit in your backpack (for the sake of convenience). Here is a cute, compact umbrella that you can put in your bag that’s perfect for a little drizzle.

2. Rain jacket

A rain jacket is a necessary item to have in case you don’t feel like carrying around an umbrella (or if you simply don’t like umbrellas). Good rain jackets will keep you dry and provide you with warmth and comfort in even the dreariest of days. Rain jackets can also come in a variety of styles, such as this cute raincoat with a polka dot pattern.

3. Rain boots

Rain boots are almost as essential as rain jackets and umbrellas in wet weather. Sloshing through puddles with regular footwear can be uncomfortable, especially if you wear open-toed shoes and your classroom has the air conditioning on full blast. However, rain boots solve that problem and allow you to have fun in the process! For a stylish update on classic one-color rain boots, try this black and white floral print from Target.

4. Waterproof bag

In case your umbrella and/or rain jacket doesn’t cover you and your belongings adequately enough, you’ll want to invest in a waterproof bag. Having one is especially important when you have valuables and don’t want them to get soaking wet. In addition to providing protection from the rain, waterproof bags are also great in case of accidental spills. Since waterproof bags can prove to be incredibly useful, you might want to invest in this multi-colored bundle Amazon currently offers!

5. Towel

You might not have considered a towel as a “must-have” in your closet, but think again! Why does a towel fit into this list? Well, now that it’s hurricane season, you’ll most likely get unexpectedly rained on more than once. You don’t have to necessarily carry the towel with you — rather, have one available back home so that whatever does get wet can be quickly dried off when you return. To keep fashionably dry, I recommend this elegant, brocade towel from World Market.

If you were curious before of what to wear during rainy day weather, by now you should definitely know how to stay dry during this crazy hurricane season. Gone are the days of soaked sandals and drenched backpacks. Say goodbye to wet attire and hello to more singing in the rain!

Photo credits: hdwallpapersrocks.com, thegoldengirlblog.com, srathardforlife.com, aliexpress.com, gcastd.org

Elena Kallergis is currently a 4th year Advertising major at the University of Florida. Her passions include ballet dancing, drawing, reading, traveling, and rock climbing. She loves flowers, cats, fashion, chocolate chip cookies, cheeseburgers, and anything to do with the color peach. Outside of class, you can either catch her eating while attempting to study or just eating in general. Follow her on Instagram @elenamika.