A Florida Girl’s Guide to Mardi Gras in New Orleans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Mardi Gras is a special time of the year. People come from all over the world to binge drink, make poor decisions and collect an unnecessarily large amount of beads. Mardi Gras parades start in January, but the most popular ones will be Feb. 24-28. When I attended LSU (I transferred to UF my junior year), I went to New Orleans for Mardi Gras my first two years of college. LSU actually closes the university for a few days so everyone can celebrate Mardi Gras. They are that serious there, and it’s pretty cool. These are some of the things I learned along the way during my time in Louisiana and some lessons I’ve learned in New Orleans.

No one in Louisiana calls it NOLA. In Louisiana, people generally just say New Orleans. “NOLA” is only used when texting or writing shorthand. I had actually never even heard of the phrase, “NOLA” until Christmas break during freshman year when a friend was talking about New Orleans. I would also like to clear up that LSU is not in New Orleans, it is actually in Baton Rouge, which is about an hour and 15 minutes north.

Your shoes will be trashed. The infamous “party sludge” or “Bourbon gumbo” lines the street of New Orleans throughout the celebration. The gray puddles can be past ankle-deep, especially on Bourbon Street, which has a year-round supply of the sludge. Unless you are smart like a local, and wear rain boots or other waterproof shoes, don’t expect those shoes to come home with you.

If you’re on Bourbon Street, get a hand grenade. This drink is famous for being quite strong and tasty. You only need one. Trust me. It is served in a super cool cup and makes for cute pictures. Sounds silly now, but you’ll see.

Get a hurricane. It is New Orleans’ staple drink. If you don’t get a hurricane, were you really in New Orleans? They are literally everywhere, and you can even get them in a fishbowl. However, if you are really serious about hurricanes, then go to Pat O’Briens Bar. It’s famous for being the home of the original hurricane. If you go there, locals will be impressed that you even know what it is. Plus, it’s fun to have your picture taken by the glowing fountain in the back, and they even have an in-house photographer.

The parades are awesome. If Bourbon Street isn’t your scene, parades are definitely the way to go. Look at the schedule of parades, and pick a couple to see, it will be worth it. All the locals go to Uptown, which is really fun. People pick a spot from which to watch the parades and set up camp. If you think game day tailgating is hardcore, wait until you go to New Orleans. People tailgate for almost a full week during Mardi Gras complete with tents, crawfish boilers, chairs and, of course, full bar set-ups. Like I said, locals are seasoned professionals. They most likely have been celebrating Mardi Gras before they could even walk. People in Louisiana are on a whole other level.

You will probably walk 10 miles. The cab services aren’t very accessible during Mardi Gras, and you can forget about Ubers. Many of the streets are blocked off due to parades and large crowds, so walking is the only option. For this reason, pick a place to stay within walking distance of your plans. Also, be mindful of parking options. You don’t want to drag your luggage a mile down the crowded streets of New Orleans like I did. Choose a hotel that provides parking, and you will be glad you did. Be prepared to pay a pretty penny for that parking, too.

You are going to want all of the beads. I didn’t understand this at first, but it’s fun. I literally have boxes of beads. You get so many beads that it makes your neck sore the next day from all the weight. Your desire for beads will especially increase when you go to the parades. You will find yourself waving your arms and yelling to the people on the floats like it’s your job. A warning, if you can’t catch, like me, you will most definitely get hit in the face with beads but it is totally worth it.

Try all the Cajun food. Jambalaya, gumbo, crawfish, boudin balls and Po’Boy sandwiches are all staples of Louisiana culture, and you can’t get them anywhere else. They also have amazing seafood in New Orleans. I highly recommend the chargrilled oysters from Acme Oyster House.

Wear what is comfortable. Check the weather before going because if you are a Floridian, you will most likely be cold. I suggest leggings, a tank top, rain boots and a light jacket. My first year, we made Mardi Gras-colored feather bras (Don’t judge,we were freshman), and the next year I wore a loose tank top. You can really wear whatever you want because everybody is too drunk to care anyway. I would recommend not taking a purse though because people can steal them. It is easier to just to slip some cash and your ID in your bra or a pocket.

FAT Tuesday is not the day to go. The weekends are the fun days to go. The best parades will be over the weekend, and you will want to see a few of those. Fat Tuesday marks the end of Mardi Gras. On Tuesday night, the bars will close early, at least by 12 a.m., because that’s when Ash Wednesday starts.

You have to try a King Cake. It is a rich part of the Mardi Gras tradition. It symbolizes the coming of the wise men bearing gifts. It’s pretty delicious, and if you are the “lucky” one to receive the slice with the plastic baby inside, you are asked to continue the festivities by paying for the next King Cake.

Don’t let a guy on the street paint your face. You might be intrigued because it would be cute and festive, but don’t. I asked for a small Fleur de lis on my cheek, and my whole face ended up being painted. I looked ridiculous and immediately washed it off in some restaurant. Here is a snapchat of the embarrassment I went through. Don’t be like me, and just say no to crazy people on the street with paint.

Bring plenty of cash.  Using your debit or credit card is not the way to go because you are going to want to buy things on the fly. Be prepared to spend a lot, also. Parking fees, meals, drinks, cover for bars, souvenirs, and that slice of pizza you bought on the street all adds up fast.

Go with some guys. I am all for girl power, but New Orleans is a dangerous place. Don’t be fooled by all of the celebrations. Bad stuff goes down during Mardi Gras. It is also quite helpful to have someone help muscle through the crowds of Bourbon Street.

You only need one night on Bourbon Street. Most likely you will go hard your first night out, and it takes the whole next day to recover. Pacing is the key if you want to last more than one day in New Orleans. Even though we had two nights in a hotel, we could never make it to Bourbon Street the second night. Save the second day to explore and go to parades. There are so many amazing places to eat. You can’t go wrong. I suggest seeing Jackson Square, Lafitte’s Blacksmith Bar and shopping on Canal Street.

Book your hotel room way in advance. Unless you have a hook up, it is going to be pretty hard to find a hotel room at this point; however, there is plenty of time to start planning for 2018! Seriously, my dad booked the hotel rooms in July. If you know someone in New Orleans, try to crash with them if you can because they are seasoned professionals at Mardi Gras, so you are guaranteed a good time.

If you are flying home, get to the airport early. The New Orleans airport is super confusing; I can’t tell you how to properly navigate it, but it’s weird. I got lost not one, not two, but three times in that place. I almost missed my flight one time because the traffic was so bad, so be prepared for that. If you are driving, you are in for a long haul, so buckle up, and put on an audio book.

Mardi Gras is something everyone should get to experience at least once. College is the perfect time to go and if you follow this guide, you are golden. There’s no better way than going the heart of it all, New Orleans. That is, if you are brave enough, collegiettes™!

Features writer and videographer Taylor is a third-year public relations major and this is her first semester with Her Campus UFL. Taylor just transferred from LSU where she played on their beach volleyball team so she is super pumped to finally be a Florida Gator. Since moving to the ville, you can find Taylor either at SWR playing beach volleyball, blogging at Starbucks or staying up too late in midtown. This Summer Taylor is studying abroad with the J-school in Greece and London and then backpacking across Europe. You can follow her blog at sunsandvolley.wordpress.com and on Instagram @taytayyy28