Fitness with Finesse: What Your Running Shoes Say About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Whether you’re an avid runner or just starting out, you know your selected running shoe is the most important part of your workout. But what does your choice say about you? Do your shoes scream “Look at me!” or do they send out a mellow vibe letting the world know you’re hassle-free? Find out what your shoe brand tells your fellow runners at UF:

1. NikeYou go for things that make a statement. You want to be seen by the world and nothing can stop you from doing just that, especially not the price of those coral and blue Nike’s on display at DSW. Yeah, you still get in a good run every once in a while, but your shoes are put to more use in your everyday attire — leggings or yoga pants — than anything else. You know how to make an entrance, and you’re the life of the party.

2. MizunoThe minimal support in your running shoes says a lot about your life outside of Southwest Recreation Center. You’re free-spirited and relaxed 24/7. When asked to describe you, the word that comes to everyone’s mind is “laidback.” You get along with just about everybody thanks to your easy-going personality and carefree outlook on life. Despite having many friends, you’re more of a loner. Although you never rely on others for support, you make your own way in the world and certainly don’t need no man to do so. *Cue the sassy snap in the Z formation.* No amount of stress will get in the way of daily meditation or evening chamomile tea.

3. AsicsYou’re the complete opposite of the Mizuno girls – you love stability and support in your life. You often look for reassurance from others, and though you sometimes come off as high maintenance or needy to strangers, your close friends and long-term boyfriend know you just need a little encouragement. Although you do need a lot of support from others, you don’t just take it freely. All of your friends come to you for advice, and you’re always prepared for a pizza and wine night when your friends are in need.

4. SauconyYou have a taste for the finer things in life. You’re well traveled and cultured, raised by the down-to-earth frequent fliers of the world. Many of your friends make fun of you for your obscure and foreign foods only eaten by the most eloquent of the foodies. You pronounce all foreign words with the right accent because you’ve had years of international eating experiences. Though your friends poke fun at your pronunciation of “queso” when you all go to Moe’s together after hitting up the Student Recreation & Fitness Center, they’re all secretly jealous that you can successfully pronounce the words no one else can. Most importantly, you can pronounce your favorite running shoe brand, Saucony.

Obviously there are some exceptions to these descriptions, and your personality may fit into more than one of these shoes types. But now, when you see runners around campus, you’ll know a little something extra about them. Happy running, collegiettes!