Fitness with Finesse: How to Hit the Town Without the Calories

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

We all know that morning-after feeling. The list of regrets from last night can be long, and to add to that, the two beers at The Swamp Restaurant and the slices from Italian Gator (a.k.a. Pizza By The Slice) you thought were a good idea will definitely have you hitting the gym later. But what if you could go out in a healthier way? These few tips and tricks will help shorten your list of regrets.

1. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!You should always be hydrating before you go out to Midtown, but here’s a tidbit to motivate you to do so: The water you add to you body will boost your metabolism, making it easier for your body to digest the calories you consume without absorbing them. Plus, the water will make waking up in the morning a little easier.

2. Eat beforehandHave a bite to eat of something filling but healthy. Personally, I like to have something light with a little protein like a salad with tofu or chicken and some extra fruits on the side or veggies on top. Eating ahead of time will give your body something to digest your drinks with and make you a little more full so you avoid those late-night cravings for unhealthy snacks, which brings me to the next point.

3. Avoid your favorite post-party snackWe all have our weak spots after spending the night in Midtown: Relish, Pizza By The Slice or Gumby’s pokey stix. Whatever yours is, it will seem like a great idea at 2 a.m., but when you wake up and remember you ate an entire burger with every ingredient Relish offers (including peanut butter), you might not see it as such a great idea anymore. Try to remind yourself before you go out not to eat here, and make a pact with your friends to go straight home without ordering any infamous pokey stix.

4. Order healthy drinksThe final key to a healthier trip to Midtown is drinking healthy drinks. Instead of a beer, which has tons of calories, try getting a vodka with tonic water. This drink is low in calories and tasty at the same time, which makes it the ultimate combination. Turn down drinks that have sugary parts, like coke or a fruity mixer.

Hopefully this advice will help you shorten your list of morning-after regrets and ease your health conscience the next time you head to your favorite Midtown bar or club with your fellow collegiettes!

Photo credit:philly.happeningmag.com