Fitness with Finesse: 5 Workout Moves You Can Do With a Chair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UFL chapter.

Living in a dorm or small apartment can make it hard to do an at-home workout. The lack of space and equipment makes working off those late-night study snacks difficult, and sometimes going to the gym isn’t an option. Either it’s too busy, or you want to avoid running into that frat boy you were flirting with last night. One piece of equipment that could help you out when you’re lacking space is a chair. These five simple exercises only require a chair to challenge your body and they’re easy to do in a small space.

1. Step upsThis exercise is simple and effective, working out your quads and glutes to get your legs ready for your go-to skirt every Friday night. Start by standing and facing the chair, then step on the chair with your right foot and bring your left foot up so you’re standing straight on the chair. Step back down with your left leg. Repeat this with the other leg. As you get more comfortable you can do it faster, but be sure to always bring yourself to a full standing position for a full workout. Do 30 reps on each leg.

2. Inclined push-upsPush-ups can be daunting, but this one will be a little easier while still working your arms well. Start by facing the chair with your feet together, then lean down and put your palms flat on the chair as far apart as you can (while still being on the chair). Walk your feet back so your body is flat, then do 10 push-ups or as many as you can.

3. Leg raisesAnother awesome leg workout, this one uses gravity to work your hamstrings, lower back and glutes. Stand behind the chair, about your arm and body length away, then lean forward and grab the top of the back of the chair, so your back and arms are parallel to the floor. From there, lift your right leg backwards until it is in line with your back. Hold this for two seconds, then slowly bring your leg back down. Repeat this on the other leg, doing 20 reps per leg.

4. Arm dipsWorking out your triceps can be hard, and often requires extra, complicated equipment. This exercise works out those hard-to-reach muscles from home. Start by sitting on the edge of the chair with your legs extended forward. Using your arms, lift your body off the chair and forward, then slowly lower yourself towards the floor, until you can feel a burn in your triceps, and then straighten your arms. Repeat until you really feel the burn.

5. Sitting crunchesThis exercise will work your lower abs and back, using gravity as a natural weight. Begin by sitting in the chair with your back straight and slightly leaned back so you’re touching the back of the chair. Point your toes (to get a little calf workout) and put your hands on your head like you would a normal crunch. Lean forward and touch your right elbow to your left knee. Return to your original position, then repeat with the left elbow and right knee. Do 30 reps on each side.

Next time you’re desperately avoiding the gym or just want to squeeze in a quick workout as a study break, use your chair to get extra effective results. It will use different muscles while still exercising big muscle groups that require consistent attention. There are many more routines you can use a chair for, but just make sure not to use a rolling chair!

Photo credits: www.img2.timeinc.netwww.media1.onsugar.comwww.womenshealthandfitness.com.auwww.cdn.shape.com